Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

October Sask Reports?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Rudd, Oct 11, 2017.

1. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

The resource and money attached to NR hunters will carry the most weight. With most waterfowl populations in good shape and snow geese numbers still exploding I'll be surprised if there are many changes.

2. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

i love reading all the different opinions and angles taken on this topic.i have alot of farmer friends in canada and when i get there the all say thank goodness your here get these airborne rats out of my fields for me the have no nr issues.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Exactly.....when we ask permission to hunt a field with snows.....they say, "you can only hunt if you promise to kill them all." We have famers calling us before we go and say they want to know when we will be up there.

This is not about deer or coyotes or upland game that requires stickers to attach to legs. Have never used any of them. Plus ledgers are free. I always buy my Sask license and Federal stamp on the internet and print them out. Can't get much easier than that.

We have to buy a state license and federal stamp here also. I don't see how it is any different up there.This is only about waterfowl. We do not need to ask for more restrictions.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

Keep in mind ND actually has no limit, but usually ends up selling a little over 20k. It is quite obvious that the only thing that will ever happen in the ND legislature will be to loosen restrictions - I don't think it's even worth wasting time talking about it.
    Are there stats out there on how many NR buy waterfowl licenses in the Canadian provinces? Too bad to hear that it is trending toward being crowded - in this day it's almost impossible for that not to happen - word just travels too easily and people are more willing to go anywhere for 'the best.' Last year one of the border agents said "it's hard to believe there are any birds left." Obviously it was tongue in cheek and it's a big area. I've only been a couple times but it does remind me of how ND was 20 years ago - basically being able to just go and hunt and not worry much about getting on land or competition. It's probably inevitable that will change over time.

5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Interesting to read this thread. Saying that there won't be restrictions because business will cause an uproar, I just don't think that will happen. Our natural resources should be managed based on whats good the resource, not what's best for the business. I've looked at Manitoba Natural's resources priority list and how they manage the resource and NR are at the bottom of the list.
    1) First Nations people
    2) Resident hunters
    3) Non-resident Canadians
    4) Non-resident non-Canadians

IMO changes will be happening in the very near future, for the 2018 or 2019 season I'm guessing.

6. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

'Should be' is the key term there. Often doesn't work that way though - money usually trumps everything. The thing I've always said is why do we need to guarantee everyone a waterfowl license? There's no way you would do that with big game and while the comparison isn't exactly apples to apples, just letting an unlimited number of hunters isn't great management IMO. I think restrictions have been hard to argue for in the last 15 years with the huge snow goose population and expanding resident canada goose populations - where we're saying there are too many geese but then trying to restrict hunters I think is a tough sell.

7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

The issue isn't always too many hunters,,,, the issue is really access and hunting effort.

Outfitters and some NR freelancers tend to secure far more shoots than they can possibly ever take in a reasonable time,,, so that they always have the ability to pick and choose the best shoots every day and still have "back up shoots" if need be. NR hunters tend to have a higher success rates as well becuz of this practice.

A lot of shoots go "unshot" becuz of this practice. This doesn't always go over well with resident hunter who see shoots never taken that they could not get in on becuz it was being held for outfitters / NR hunters.

As I said in an earlier post,,, NR hunters, whether they are guided or freelancing, tend to hunt everyday (sometimes twice a day) while residents might hunt once maybe twice per week. I don't have the actual licence numbers in front of me,,,, so this is purely an anecdotal estimate,,, but even if non residents make up only 25% of the hunting licences, they may be 75% of the hunting effort and harvest in any given week in popular areas.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Just finished doing the Manitoba Sustainable Development survey, part of which was asking about non-resident licences for next season.

9. saugeye43

saugeye43 New Member

870, securing land, more than the next days hunt is asinine. That’s something I nor anyone I hunt with have ever done. Get permission, hunt the next day. Scout in the evening repeat if you are hunting again. Most farmers I know would consider it greedy and wouldn’t like it.

10. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Thank you,,, I appreciate that.... if everyone did that, we probably would not be having this discussion!!!

KID CREOLE likes this.