Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Off-Brand Ammo

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Phytoplankton, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I have a Winchester 25-35, but am having trouble finding ammo for it. Most places are out of stock, as they only make a run of that ammo every few years. I located some off brand ammo at a very reasonable price, it's from the Czech Republic the brand is Sellier and Bellot, anyone have any info, good or bad? I understand that the 25-35 (6.5 x 52), in Europe.

2. Patoruzu

Patoruzu Senior Refuge Member

I have shot plenty S&B 9mm, good ammo, no issues in any of my pistols.

3. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Yup good ammo. Never had an issues with it.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Yes, it and Privi are both quality ammo. There's usually not much info on the bullets they use, but most are as accurate as familiar stuff and their game bullets perform like most other cup & core stuff.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The Sellier and Beloit ammo is good and I've shot some myself.

Main thing is even thought the cartridges are close, 25-35 and 6.5 x52R are not exactly the same cartridges, close but not the same.
    CIP and SAAMI have two different cartridge definitions for each cartridge, and different specs for dimensions.
    CIP lets manufacturers run 6.5x52R ammo up to 47,800 psi, SAAMI max pressure for the 25-35 Winchester is 44,000 psi.
    I've heard of people using the European ammo in American made rifles, some have good results and some have noted case splitting and separation, all depends on your rifles chamber dimensions.
    The other part that kind of baffles me a bit is if the bullets are true 6.5mm. which is .264 caliber, in the European rounds, how are you supposed to shoot them in a 25 caliber rifle which should be .257 diameter by American standards?

All that can be said is try it and examine your fired brass.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  6. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

European cartridges designated 6.5 can run from .250 in the 6.5x40mm Rimmed Sauer, .260 in the 6.5x58mm Rimmed Sauer, .264 in the 6.5x57mm and .268 in the 6.5 Italian.

The 6.5x52mm uses the .257 bullet.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Good to know, confusing at best how they do that.

8. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Thank to everyone who responded. Just as a follow-up, I got the ammo and took the old gun out and sighted it in (open buckhorn sights). I had some old Winchester ammo and the new S&B ammo. As is turned out the S&B ammo was more accurate than the Winchester ammo. Had 6 inch groups at 100 yards with the S&B and 8 inch groups with the Winchester. That was standing shots, with no rest., with a moderate cross wind. Forgot how heavy that gun is (octagonal barrel)! The S&B cartridges fed fine and the spent brass showed no signs of cracking or expansion.