Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Off season decoy Painting need help!!!

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by waterfowler6963, Apr 2, 2017.

1. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

Need some help here we have 200 floater most are Carrielites some are snows and some canada's painted as snows and we are having a hard time getting paint to stick to them more then one season any one out there know of a good way to paint them also we about 450 of the Decoy Factory styro-foam decoys that need paint to!!!

Thanks for any help we can get!!!

2. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I purchased some older carrylites as well that were in rough shape and have since turned them into good looking decoys. Here's the steps I did and the paint has held up well on the decoys being texas rigged and thrown in and out of the boats.

1. Power wash the decoy to get rid of old paint, chipped paint, etc. You want them as clean as you can get them.
    2. Brush on a white primer such has kill-z or other quality brand primers
    3. Brush on your final color such has white or gray and use an outdoor flat paint. I used Dutch Boy MaxBond Outdoor paint.

3. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

Carrylites have always been notorious for poor paint adhesion. Most of the time, it was because of the condition of the polyethelene plastic used and /or presence of mold-release agent underneath. About all you can do is (1) either sand or wire-brush all the loose paint off (2) lightly run a hand-held propane torch over them to "burn off any release agent" or hand rub them down with acetone or mineral spirits to try and neutralize any release agent, (3) Prime them with Rustoleum Speciality Plastic Primer ( in spray can from stores like Walmart, Lowes, etc.) (4) topcoat with flat Krylon Fusion spray paint (made for adhesion to plastic). Wear rubber gloves when handling the decoys; as that way, oils from your fingers will not get on the plastic surface. Again, they are Carrylites. Good Luck.

The foamers are very easy to paint. Over the years I have done a bunch. (Great decoy for a permanent spread.) Once again quickly wipe down with mineral spirits to neutralize any release agent left on the bird. After it has air-dried, prime with Kilz and then topcoat with any exterior flat latex housepaint.

4. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Water based Kilz or Oil based kilz? On drywall I always use oil based because it doesn't allow stains to bleed through as bad, but will oil based paint eat into the foam decoys?

5. Patodor

Patodor Refuge Member

I used the water-based latex Kilz on my foamers. I wouldn't expect oil based to eat them up, but better off safe if you have the option.

jzoo likes this.
  6. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

Water-based Kilz for the foamers. Just easier.

jzoo likes this.
  7. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

8. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

All of our Decoy Factory Foamers are painted with Behr Ultra Premium. This is the brightest white i could find. We lightly sanded the decoys, then put two thinn coats of Behr.Our decoys stay in the field from mid Nov until mid Feb and now have 3 seasons on them

20161206_072234.jpg 20141115_131249.jpg

callinfowl likes this.