Georgia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Off Topic: Help With Traffic Ticket

Discussion in 'Georgia Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Ok, maybe I should just plead "no contest"?

Anyone have a link to GA laws?

2. biggredd

biggredd Senior Refuge Member

Trust me on this, in Orian Douglas court room you cannot prove your innocent. You are guilty as charged, everybody is!! I have seen him in action!! He refused to allow video tape evidance for one person I seen!! It's a waist of you time the best thing you can do is file a complaint againts the officer!! Just for bald face lying!! Atleast it will go on his record!!

If you fight it do let us know how it truns out!!!

Glynn County is the most corrupt spot on the face of the earth!! If I didn't have to work over there I would never step off in Glynn Gounty ever again!!

3. dep_6

dep_6 Elite Refuge Member

Look on the Citation and tell me the code section he used, when you get time.

4. DONZI

DONZI Senior Refuge Member

Good luck~!!!

5. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Code section he wrote down is 40-6-20

6. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

I found the Ga code on this and here is how they get you...

The disregard or disobedience of the instructions of any official traffic-control device or signal placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter by the driver of a vehicle shall be deemed prima-facie evidence of a violation of law,

Prima Facie
    Latin for "At first sight." A prima facie case presents enough evidence for the plaintiff to win the case barring any defenses or additional evidence presented by the defendant.

So I have to prove my side.

Hmmmmm.....................

7. MudDucker

MudDucker Refuge Member

I can tell you that unless the trooper doesn't show or you have a rebuttal witness, you are toast.

Judges feel like a trooper has no reason to write a bogus ticket (no bonus system for # of tickets written), but you on the other hand have a reason to tell a story (avoid a fine), so unless you got an unbiased witness, the judge is going to side with the trooper. I have seen rare occassions where a judge did not trust a particular law enforcement official and would not take their word for it, but that is real rare.

My advice, call the state solicitor and see if you can work out a deal for a plea. Don't cop an attitude, just say there is a disagreement and is there anything that could be worked out.

Good luck.

8. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

I did call the solicitors office and they told me I would have to work it out with the judge, so off to court on Thursday for me.

I plan to plead no-contest, hoping to pay the fine and no points.

9. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Well, the judge wasn't as bad as all you guys claimed.

But I was only given two choices guily or not-guilty.

Since I could not prove my side, I plead guilty.

I went before Judge Douglas and he asked me why I "plowed through the light without even trying to stop."

I told him I did press my brakes, but since I have been driving for 25 years and married for 20 years that I was not going to slam on the brakes when my wife was sleeping on the back seat of my van and throw her on the floor.

Well, he got a good laugh out of that one.

But still guilty and have to pay the fine and I get the points.

Law just has no room for context sometimes.

Oh well, it was interesting to see how they run their courtroom, which is very well done and the downtown area of Brunswick if very nice.

10. dep_6

dep_6 Elite Refuge Member

Sorry sir, I hope the fine was not too heavy a one. How many points were assessed?