OK...GOLF, there I said it!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I once thought I would be the last person to ever play the game, but around 14 years ago my boy wanted to play, so we got him some lessons, had an old set of clubs cut down and he played with his Grandpa. Then he came home and wanted to play. So, I figured I'd gave it a try for the kid. I had such a " could care less how I played"
    attitude, which I am sure goes against everything about the game that I found it a lot of fun, no pressure , and enjoyable . Nothing serious, just a good day on the green with my boy and his friends, lots of laughs. So I play a couple of years with them and their Dad, have fun, establish good form in some areas and also some bad habits that I try to work on. Then I stop playing for around 6 years. Fast fwd to this Friday and the same boys, all out of college and into careers and girlfriends, drive their rocket ship cars from all of where life spread them out to and back to my area and we hit the turf. We warm up at the driving range. I am slicing to the right like crazy. I tell myself to slow the heck down and have a more steady swing. Ping, the balls are now going straight. Hit the course and I played my best game EVER! Hell I was tired and we did all 18. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be kinda decent maybe player, nothing more. Nothing to brag about, probably more luck than skill. The boys are going for distance in their driving and losing a lot of balls into the woods etc. Much better players, but always going for distance. The Old Fart is steady and hitting mostly straight. The turtle and the hares. Gotta love it.
    I know a lot of guys hate golf, others love it and others like me, they like it and don't take golf or much else too seriously, and are fine with that.

seiowa likes this.
  2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you should play less!

Seriously, though.......several years ago I took lessons, and my pro said to me." You know, Tim, If I were you, I'd take two weeks off,....................and then I'd quit":nutz

likesbigspreads likes this.
  3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I started playing golf when I was around 9 via junior golf and I am 55 now. My youngest son who is now 21, Christmas break of his junior year in high school and said dad I want to play high school golf as I am done with high school baseball. He had played a little with me but always wanted to be on the baseball diamond but had great hand eye coordination. I set him up with the first pro and in 30 days was a 10 handicap range. He made the golf team and had great fun and is now playing golf at the junior college. He is a 2 handicap playing from pro tees (shot 74 from pro trees at Kapalua Plantation course) but he has that one hole most rounds that get his score. So we play as much as I can play - I am a 10 handicap but I quit trying to play from the tips. It is fun just like spending a day in the duck blind. I play a bunch of scrambles for work, so he usually plays along with my brother and then depends. One of his buddies joined us at a recent scramble and we shot a 52 (it was one of those you are on the X days), but we usually shoot around a 57-59 when we play as a team. One guy was giving us grief, I said let's go, $1,000 a hole if you think we are lying. Turns out he was the assistant pro at another club.

I enjoy golf and we have a great variety of courses and while I like to fish, I have fun playing golf and it is even better playing with my son. Spending time with friends and family is what life is about in my book.

But yes not playing for a while sometimes yields good results. I hadn't played for 3 months as hunting season had just ended and son needed to play a practice round at a course he hadn't played, so I went and just played smart golf and shot a 78.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I enjoy it, but don't play but a couple of times a year. No time for another hobby! Some guys take it too serious for me though and suck all the fun out of it. Kinda like fishing bass tournaments; I'm very competitive in most everything but with those I prefer to just relax and have fun.

5. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

I was once an addict. Got so involved I ended up on the board of directors of the local golf club, for 10 years. My involvement got my son involved. He ended up winning the individual league championship of the local eight school high school league in both his junior and senior years. I played more and more frequently. Then one day in 1977 I realized how much time I was spending getting just a little exercise. So I sold my golf clubs and bought a pair of running shoes. Haven't had a club in my hands since.

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Golf is for guys who can’t kill or catch.. there I said it.

7. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

LMAO!!

I played golf while my Dad was still alive....he liked to play, but with 5 kids on the ground way back when he gave it up so we could all play baseball/basketball/football/etc/etc...once we were all out of the house, he picked it up again. He didn't hunt or fish, so that was our thing we did together...and it was fun.

Since he left us, I haven't picked up a club in 8 years.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

IMG_2674.JPG
    My son and I shot with two other members of the club on this day they took picture of me and my son. I shot blue phase juvie which we are getting more blues every year out here in Ca. It was around 56 geese this day, we shot around 40 the day before and a few ducks.
    So we can shoot birdies on the golf course and for real. In my line of work, part of networking
    is the charity golf tournaments.

9. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Last time I played golf was 15ish years ago. Played a very nice course in Jamaica on a trip with my wife’s company. Paid ~$250 for the round including caddy. Shanked my drive on the first hole. My second shot I hit a fairway wood inside 6 feet. Sunk the birdie putt. Told them I should walk away but didn’t. For the rest of the round I listened to a short Jamaican dude tell me how bad I was at golf. Figured he knew what he was talking about so I have not played since. Seriously I realized that I knew enough about golf to know that I would never be good enough to suit me. That and my daughter being born about a year later pretty much doomed my golf game forever

10. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I can kill a 12 pack and catch a buzz