OK..who's ate nutria??

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Coho, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Spanky03

Spanky03 Elite Refuge Member

I have never had nutria or armadillo, but I have had alot of the other critters out there. I can't see the nutria or armadillo tasting bad. Now the crow, I don't think I'd mess with that, I don't know I might try it:l

2. Duck30 Fly-By

Duck30 Fly-By Senior Refuge Member

Perryville, AR:Proud member of the Fourche River O
    You can't find a one in Perry County Arkansas due to the fact that at least two thirds of the population eats the darn things. I think it's kind of like what Mr. Rooney (an ex-intelligence officer in the VietNam), he was my econ teacher, he said in Nam you could never find puppy anywhere.

3. Blastaduck

Blastaduck Elite Refuge Member

Well gents I've never eaten a nutria, since there not terribly infested around here in Virginia although I know a couple guys closer to north carolina that have them around. But if a good cook was on it I wouldn't have any problem chowing down on one.

I've spent plenty of time in the back country of belize and for the indians there, nothing can top one of these in the pot:

[​IMG]

Bout the size of an armadillo, called a gibnut. I always make sure to get some when I'm down there, since you can get it braised and its like really fine beef roast. Lot of small bones, since it does look like a rat, but tastes fine (genetically its got nothing to do with a rat).

4. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

My father swears by muskrat stew. Says they used to eat it at the trapping camp all the time and it was delicious.:yes