old 16ga

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by goose pit, Nov 2, 2017.

1. goose pit

goose pit Elite Refuge Member

I would like to take my grandpa's old Springfield side by side out duck hunting. I am wondering what non-toxic loads I could shoot through it. I have looked at the Hevi-shot classic doubles but havnt seen very good reviews on it. So what would be some other options? Any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.:tu

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Probably Kent Bismuth.

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Hoooold on! A lot of those old 16s had 2 9/16 chambering. Check that before you try to shoot it.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have heard that some of those older guns can't handle the pressures of modern ammo. 10GAGENUT would know more about that.

5. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

Get checked thruogh a smith, for chamber length and see if it has proofs for smokless powder.
    MIGHT be blackpowder only.

If BP then consider getting pound of Bimuth shote thruogh ROTOmetlas, Inc.., about $18 +S&H and reload sheel with BP and bismuth???

Good Luck.

Vahunter likes this.
  6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If it’s a hammerless marked Springfield, and shows no Damascus, it’s probably their version of the pre-311 savage, and it’ll be smokeless safe and 2 3/4”. However, it may have internal hammer issues that can cause fire on closing and recoil doubles....which seem to be 50/50. I inherited one of the 12s this way. Almost cost me a foot or two as a kid, and at least one broken finger and bloody nose.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

As was stated it depends on model and age, usually Springfield and Savage were pretty good about marking chamber length on their guns and most will say for 2 3/4 " shells if it chambered for them, if is says Nitro Proofed then you should be good to go with the Kent Bismuth shells.
    I e-mailed Kent a while back and those shells are running modern pressures, so if it's a real old SxS then you may want to take it easy with them, again if it depends on age of the gun and what model.

8. goose pit

goose pit Elite Refuge Member

After asking my dad he thinks the gun is either a 45 or a 46. The barrel says "Proof Tested" and "Select Forged Steel" would i be good to go?

9. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Refuge Member

If it says proof tested then it was test to withstand smokeless powder. However, this comes with a caveat. It does not mean you can shoot some of the high pressure/high speed loadings that are available now. Also, any non-toxic shot that will not compress(like steel) will damage your gun. I think Bismuth in a standard loading should be fine, but consult a gunsmith to make sure. I own a Springfield SxS, it put many a duck down in the water with their feet up when I was young in the lead shot days. But it has not been duck hunting since the mandating of steel.