Old but:....17 HMR

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by sioutdoors, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

I bought a Savage 93 17 hmr with a bsa sweet 17 312x40 (I think). My question is what is the fastes way to zero it in at 100 yrds. This is the first rifle with a scope I have ever owned so use small words. :eek: And how effective would it be on squirells at over 100 yrds. Not like I would even see one that far:nutz

2. huntin14

huntin14 Senior Refuge Member

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the with the trajectory of the 17, you can set zero at 50 yards and it will also be zero at 100 yards. The bullet has to rise to meet where the crosshairs are and then begins to fall again and crosses that same line of sight at 50 and 100 yards.

The 17 will be devastating on squarrels well past 100 yards.

3. quivira kid

quivira kid Elite Refuge Member

I think you'll find stuff missin' from those squirrels when you find 'em. :nutz

4. sioutdoors

ok get this picked up the rifle to day (24 hour rule) and took it out to my grandpaws. Set the windge at 0 and the elev. at 100. First shot at 100 yards no bore siting or nothin. Hit the peice of notebook paper with the first shot 3 inch. right and almost on elev. after 15 shots had the thing in 1/2 goups and 1 right and 1 inch low. I think with a better rest I could done better.:eek: All I had was a deck rail and deck chair. them bushy tails better watch out scope is the 6-18x40 mm. explain what the 40 mm is:confused: . Took me about 10 minutes to figure out when you put the saftey on the red its actually on fire. Here look [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sioutdoors

here is the whole thing [​IMG] its sitting in a bow case because its the only thing i had it would fit in:eek:

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

40mm is the size of the scope tube. You will also find them listed in inches. Depends on the maker.

Remember, red means danger. Off safe is dangerous.:sp

7. sioutdoors

what I meant to say is that when you bring the leevr to the red side its on safety. I guess its kinda like a shot gun huh

8. Dusty Woehrmyer

Dusty Woehrmyer Senior Refuge Member

no...40mm is the size of the bell...which is the end of the scope where it begins to open up and get larger...the tube of the scope is going to either be 1" or 30mm, but the bell of yours is 40mm and the bigger the end of the bell, the more light it collects...saying that, a 50mm scope is better in low light conditions but not when its bright... also, the closer the scope sits to the barrel, the better the gun will shoot at different distances...kinda hard to explain it all to ya...i tried tho...

9. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

Not to get technical, but the 40 mm is actually the diameter of the objective lens. Not the tube or the bell. If you have an AO (adjustable objective) the 40mm lens is actually housed in a 45 mm bell. Seems nit-picky, but it makes a difference when finding the right rings. You're right about the other stuff though....the bigger the objective the clearer the sight picture and the more light you'll get into the tube. And the part that I said about the right rings, is right in line with getting the bottom of the bell as close to the barrel as possible eliminating as much of the difference between line of sight and actual bullet travel as possible.

The .17HMR will definately kill squirrels past 100 yards. I love mine. I've taken squirrels from 5 yards to 125 yards.....and the results are not pretty. :l The one on the LEFT was taken at 25 yards, the one of the RIGHT was 110 yards. That's with the crosshairs dead on both of 'em. If you flipped them over, you'd see what I was talking about.

[​IMG]

Flipped over.....

10. quivira kid

quivira kid Elite Refuge Member