Old but:....17 HMR

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by sioutdoors, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Richard

Richard Elite Refuge Member

No Longer in Bremerton, WA... Now is the Sunny Tri
    Flipped over.....

Holy Crap...:eek: .. which one was that? how far away was that one?

2. Bill in Il

Bill in Il Senior Refuge Member

sioutdoors,
    You will enjoy the Savage .17 HMR. I have the same rifle as yours but mine was pre accutrigger. I had to install the rifle basix trigger because the factory trigger on mine was terrible. I have the Savage 10FP with the accutrigger and it is great.
    I have used the HMR twice out west on prairie dogs. It gets the job done out to 125yds. but don't expect much air time on PD's.

3. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

The 25 yarder...roughly. I was in a tree stand and he was just above my eye level in a tree, quartering away. Luckily the trunk of the tree was right behind him so that I didn't have to worry about an errant miss, and I placed the crosshairs like I would on a deer....just behind the near shoulder. It went in behind the shoulder and carved out the underside from the front of his chest until it took off his lower jaw. :tu

I actually mixed them up in my first post....he's the one on the left in the original picture.

The 110 yarder is the one of the right....he looks puffed out. Nothing in the way of real carnage until I opened him up. These bullets are going to fast that they typically ****ter upon impact. All I found inside of him were pieces of the bullet with no exit wound. But the damage on the inside was amazing.....it was like someone had emptied out his chest and filled him back up with jelly.

I've had head shots, too, in the 50-75 yard range where it takes the head clean off....just no pics. :no

4. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

holy squirrel brains batman. Dang I cant wait :dv :dv :dv :dv

5. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

There's plenty more where that came from right here:

www.rimfirecentral.com

Another forum for you to join!!

Surely you've seen the ".17HMR vs. The Rabbit" pics??? :l :l :l

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96900&highlight=rabbit+graphic

I've only taken 2 rabbits with my .17HMR (last season), but the results pictured are typical of headshots. :tu It also should be mentioned that these are the v-max ballistic tipped bullets. Just about any of them (Hornady, Remington, Wichester, Federal) should perrform about the same in each rifle, although slight preference to one brand might come out in your shooting. But if this is not your intended outcome for furry woodland creatures, they also sell JHP and copper HP's for the .17 now that aren't as devistating to game and will allow you to make your stews without clots.

6. sioutdoors

I've got to get this thing sited in wow wow wow

7. sioutdoors

damn you're right cracked five today three in the head at tree top hight, ooooooh very ugly. And two that gutted them selves:eek: . I've got to find a place more open so I can shoot them farther away:tu

8. sioutdoors

took it out and shot at some turtles (estimated to be at 200 yards) consitantly 2 inches above its head and 3 to the right (out of five shots) just coolllll as heck

9. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

Did a trigger job got it breaking at 2 lbs. bedded the stock for better support, barrel is floating by 2 mm. Scope is a 6 X 24 X 42 Barska mildot and is dead nuts on. Have put 5 rounds through the same hole at 50 yds, cover by a dime at 100 and cover by a 50 cent piece at 200. You'll love it.

10. sioutdoors

yeah I've yet to get it on a good rest to see what it could realy do. The turtles I shot at wer sitting and no rest (besides the knee) it was hiting the same spot behind the turtle every time. It was so far away he wouldn't even jump off the log when I missed:dv what do you meen by bedding the stock