Old but:....17 HMR

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by sioutdoors, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

99% of all rifles have 1 or 2 screws holding the action to the stock. Most are not "bedded" but are instead rely on the soft stock wood or nylon. As the action heats/cools it can affect your accuracy by tightening/loosening.

Bedding the stock is the act of inserting brass or steel tubes into the stock holes that allow you to lock the action down good and tight with the screws. It tends to raise the barrel a little out of the channel, therefore making it more free floating (allows it to vibrate on its own harmonic when being fired without outside interference) and stabilizes the action for a rock hard shooting platform that will not vary. After I bedded my savage I lock tited (the removable red type) the screws in place

The other thing I did is glass the barrel channel. This is not necessary on high end synthetics, but is a benefit on wood and cheap synthetic stocks (like on my savage). Cheap synthetics can warp by applying to much pressure on the fore arm and wood can swell/shrink with humidity changes. This can cause the stock to touch the barrel and affect the natural harmonics when shooting.

By sanding out the barrel channel you can lay in thin layers of fiberglass and resin it in place. You then sand the excess resin and glass out so the barrel has room to free float (you want at least enough room for a dollar bill to slide in all the way up to the action). By doing this you strengthen the stock and make it warp proof.

I learned all this when I was on a long range rifle team in high school and college. I had interest in it and our Armorer took me under his wing to teach me some of the odds and ends. It makes a huge difference, but should not be attempted without some detailed instructions.

2. Adduckted

I forgot to mention one issue with the 17 HMR. Light weight bullets get affected by the wind A LOT! I have shot mine at 200 yds on a breezy (5-10 mph winds ) day and had the bullet drift up to a foot right or left.

The best thing for you to do is Zero at 100 yds. Depending on the bullet weight, at that zero you will need to aim 1"-2" low at 50 yds and 6"-8" high at 200. I would not recommend taking shots at varmits past 150 yds, it just does not have the knockdown power to drop them in their tracks without a head shot past that range.

Play with a couple of different bullet makes and weights. Mine really likes the 17 grain ballistic tips from Hornady. It hates the 20 grain hollow points for some reason, but my buddies rifle is dead on with them.

Enjoy!

3. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

hey thanks alot. although the only thing I most likely be hunting with it is squirrels. and not shooting prolly past 50 yards. Other than the od coyote thats about it. Do most gunsmiths know how to do this process and if so how much (if you have any idea) So far it hasn't let me down in the squriell woods inspite of me jerking it thinking of a big kick from a shot gun:l Its real tough going from a shot gun for years to a rifle

4. Adduckted

Bedding yes, glassing is more of an art than a science so you may have to look around. I only mentioned it cause I'm an accuracy FREAK! I wnat my rifles to be able to consistently shoot out shotgun shell primers at 100 yds and unless you load your own rounds, or have a tweaked rifle that is not always possible.

5. sioutdoors

thanks for the help:tu

6. sioutdoors

I noticed that the cross hairs wer alittle of kilter the other day and I lossend the mounts to spin it straight. I also thought that this would not hurt the zeoring I had done on it before. Wrooooooong. I was out sat. eve. and missed three squirells out of the same tree with a good rest and scope zoomed in as high as it would go at 40 yards. I wasn't even scaring them. So sun. mornin I waited for the sun to come and checked her out. Windge was still good but elev. was about 8 inch. high at 50 yards.:eek: :eek: :eek: . Got her back in and shot at 100 yards to know for sure. Yep right on the money. Went out to redeam my self and this is what it looked like. I help my buddy fill his tree rats as well. If it wasn't for the one he lost we woulda killed out 9 out of 10 aint bad [​IMG] p.s. sorry for the crappy pic

7. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

I have a ruger 77/17 that has had some work done i.e trigger and bedding and its a legitimate tack driver. my barrel shot better when free foated a bit so i bedded my action and took a large amount of wood out of the barrel channel so it will never touch, i probably took too much but it works.

although more money then the savage's and such i chose the ruger as it is a full size gun and closer to the weight of my big game rifles

8. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I hate the .17hmr! Because of it, I have no more woodchucks around my house to shoot.:cry

Kidding on the hating it part, but not joking about no more chucks to shoot.

I bought the NEF Sportster and topped it off with a Bushnell Banner scope. The thing is a tack driving machine. There is not a woodchuck within 200 yards any direction that has a chance of surviving its wrath.:D

It is devastating on them. Literally turns their insides to jelly. I can't remember one of them taking more than one step upon being shot.:tu

Mine may have taken out a stray kitty or two as well.:h

9. sioutdoors

going one last time this year before bow season comes and hoping to get me one last mess of bushy tail. They have no chance inside 100 yards. If I can see em:dv

10. sioutdoors

picked up some 20 grain fmj from cci how much elevation diff. will they might shoot from the 17 grain. any at all:confused: any have a clue or if the will drop at all