Old Decoy Identification

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Ducker 4 Ever, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

My wife's friend is cleaning out her parents house and found about 20 of these old decoys. I am not up on older decoys, both in value and identification. Could some of you guys that know more offer up an approximate value and ID? Thanks fuge!
    35164.jpeg

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    probably either a Carry-lite, or General Fiber, or Animal Trap(Victor). In good shape, unscuffed, and no material damage, maybe 30-40 a piece. They go higher, lower. Depends.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

There should be an imprint or black stamping on the bottom of the decoy. It will be imprinted on the bottom J.C. Higgins or “Airduk” General Fiber Co. St. Louis, Mo. They both look the same as they were both made by General Fiber. The Drake looks in mint condition. The vulnerable spots are the bill and tail. Paper Mache decoys are the most affordable to collect and I suspect the next collecting craze. To get top dollar they must be absolutely mint, unused. The early Airdux will have black stamping.

4. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

Add ariduk, or jc Higgins. Is there any logo on the bottom of the deke? Amazing to see papier mache in such good shape.
    It might be neat to photograph the whole rig!

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Usually the bills are missing 1/2 to 1 inch....the ones in the best shape usually have a hole in the back where someone turned them into a lamp...

Neat find

6. rscholl

rscholl Senior Refuge Member

Anyone ever try burlapping over these and hunting them?

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sacrilege

Tuleman likes this.
  8. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

What he said!! They are classics!!!

I started my decoying ducks with 3 General Fiber Mallards similar to those in the fall of 1963. I used them in melt ponds along side a small river with my Scotch Mallard shaker call and actually killed some ducks that came to me via these efforts. Until that time my duck hunting was all jump shooting that river or beaver ponds. Before that I didn’t believe ducks would come to you....you had to sneek them.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.