Old Decoys Help

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Bluedog, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Have a friend that cleaned out a relative's barn. Found these. Any help as to origin or value??

Attached Files:

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I'm no help but those are cool.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If they were found in NC then they were probably made there. These are what I call Homemade birds. Some hunter probably didn't have the money so he made his own. Think about some guy setting in a crude blind or hunkered down in cat tails freezing his butt off waiting for ducks to come along, his family is hungry or he is hunting for the market. The Buffie Drake is probably from the coast and the Black or Mallard Hen could be from anywhere probably inland. These birds are crude but I think birds like this are very cool, I have several in my collection. They remind me of what duck hunting was like in years past. I think your friend has found a treasure, I hope he places them in a place of honor, they deserve it.

4. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Homade coastal NC Golden eye / green wing hen ?

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The first bird looks more like a Barrow's Goldeneye than anything else, and the second bird looks like nothing found on this continent. They could have been made by any no-name carver in any state.

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

No dig intended, but they're nothing "special"----except to you or family. Cool old deeks though, so put them up on your shelf !

Ringbill

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the opinions. Not mine but a friend who knows nothing about duck hunting. I passed along the info. Thanks again