Old dog, new trick

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by in2b8er, Oct 2, 2017.

1. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

Have a 10 yr old yellow female lab. Has always had separation anxiety since she was a pup. In the last 3 months she is suddenly afraid of thunder. Of course the last 3 storms have all come through in the middle of the night. She is trembling and shaking and whining in fear and evening barking in fear. Have been hunting over her since she was a pup. Went out Saturday goose hunting and had no issues shooting over her. Not sure what to do with her. Any suggestions?

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

The same thing happened to one of my past dogs. When he got to be about the same age he also became frightened of thunder. Now this boy had been hunting and retrieving his entire life but something in his senses just wasn't the same. I attributed it to just getting old.

3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

My BLM became afraid of thunder at around age 3. Not sure why. Shotguns banging over his head while he's in a blind or at heel has never been an issue. But thunder is. Maybe it's because he can't see the source of the sound?

When it thunders down here - which is almost a daily event that lasts a half hour in the afternoons during the summer - he goes and hides in my daughters bathroom and pants heavily. The wife got the Thunder Jacket to wrap him up in. That didn't work. Vet said to give him a benadryl - but that gives him the runs and didn't seem to calm him down either. He comes back out an hour or so after the storm passes. But it's never been an issue out hunting.

Just let her go where she needs to go to feel safe - her crate - under a bed - in a corner...