Old Hunting and Fishing Pics

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hobbydog, Jun 27, 2003.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I have some old hunting and fishing pics on my web site and month after month the web stats show more search string hits with "old hunting pics" than anything else. My dad was never one to take many pictures so I do not have a lot of good pics but thought I would share a few. Would be interested in see any pics others may have from the good old days.

This one is of my dad and one of his war buddies. He told him that if they survided the war he was invited to southern MN to hunt pheasants. After the war he made many trips during the 50s to hunt with his friend. The dog is a black cocker spaniel (yup, they could hunt back then), I'll let you guess what his name was. (hint, it would not be politically correct to stand on your porch and holler for your dog in today's world)

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the whole hunting party. You could call this one "when men were men and boys were boys". Notice what is sitting on the ground right in the middle of the pic. Also check out them guns. Anyone able to ID the year of the car in the background?

[​IMG]

This pic was sent to me by none other than AQ. He says it is a pic of a Texas trophy hunt back in his younger years. I believe he said he was the 3rd from the right. :D

[​IMG]

TheDuckSlayer, Squaller, Mort and 2 others like this.
  2. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Very cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

3. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

My dad hunted and fished all over the country. He, along with several other guys leased an old fur trappers cabin in Manitoba in the late 50s. They portaged boats into the lake and then would fly in most times after that. I was able to make the trip once in the late 60s as a youngster before the Canadian Government declared it a wilderness area and made them vacate the lease. They caught a lot of huge northerns way back before "catch and release" was even heard of, or fly in fishing was popular. These pics were taken in the late 50s, early 60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

Hey! If y'all got any of this kind of stuff that was taken from about Burlington, IA down the Miss River to Cairo, IL and up the IL river toward the middle of the state...anything in that region...I'd be VERY interested in getting copies via email. I'm writing a history of 20th century waterfowling in that region.

Fowler267 and bill cooksey like this.
  5. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

Great pics thanks for sharing. :)

6. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

Those are some great pitures.Them pike are monsters!:eek: my dad really never took alot of pitures , even though i wish he would have

7. Rick Godsey

Rick Godsey Elite Refuge Member

Great pixs you should be glad you have them of your dad and friends enjoying the good life. Thx for sharing

Leaky :D

8. puddleduck

puddleduck Elite Refuge Member

South End Of Warrior Bottoms, East Corner of the S
    Those are great pictures, thanks for sharing. hope there are more to come in the future !!!!!!!!!! :)

9. duckybud

duckybud Senior Refuge Member

the car looks to be a 38 or 39 Buick maybe.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'ma guess 1944.