Old Squaw, Scoter Recipes?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by n3nfx, Dec 30, 2005.

1. n3nfx

n3nfx Senior Refuge Member

Guys since there are alot of sea ducks and very few Bills in our area currently. Wondering what recipe you use for Old Squaws and Scoters? Figure we could at least enjoy some shooting!

2. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

Nail them to a board, put on fire. After about 15 minutes in the raging fire take out. Now this is the important part, Take the old squaw or scoter off the board and throw away, eat the board. :dv :dv

Cant really help you but I would try to make some jerky out of them. I do that with a lot of divers including buffies. You could also try some sausage. Before I would do anything though I would soak them in brine for at least 24hrs.

Let us know what you come up with.

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Slow Cooked Scoters

Fry up 1 lb. of sliced bacon in a skillet. When crisp, set aside, leave grease in skillet. Saute 1 large or 2 med. sliced onions in bacon grease. Drain onions & put in crock pot, leave remaining grease in skillet. Cut breasts from 4-6 scoters into finger sized pieces, roll in well seasoned flour and brown in remaining bacon grease. Put all in crock pot. Cover with water, add reserved bacon which has been crumbled. Cook all day at low heat setting. If you like it a little sweet, add some red currant or apple jelly just before serving with plenty of rice.

4. n3nfx

n3nfx Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys. Thought this thread was going to die without a reply. Someone else had mentioned the jerky idea to me aswell. I may have to invest in a smoker and other stuff for next year. Thought I'd check with my local deer butcher to see if he would hook me up, just haven't had the chance to get there. I guess I'll have to try a few though and see!

5. pbramble

pbramble Elite Refuge Member

I'm gonna resurrect this one...

Anymore ideas? the one here sounds pretty good...

6. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Find a butcher to make pepperoni stick/snack sticks. 25% to 30% seaduck and the rest pork.