older ford diesel

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by big n nasty, Feb 27, 2013.

1. big n nasty

big n nasty Elite Refuge Member

I am looking at buying another diesel truck for hunting and dog training. Right now I am in the homework stage. What is up with the older body style ford truck being so expensive. I know they have a 7.3 but you can get a newer body style with the 7.3 and they seem to be cheaper.

What are some good sites to look for diesel trucks for sale.

2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

B&N,

Personally, I would go with the 99-03 7.3 PSDs, these years ride so much better than the 92-97 body styles

3. madhatr02

madhatr02 Senior Refuge Member

love the 94-97 F-250's with the 7.3 probably all time favorite, but yes the 99-03's ride much better, but just something about that older body style probably because that is about the time period I started to really get into trucks.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have a '99 F-350, with about 190k on it. Just checked milage. 18mpg. Don't know if I will ever sell it.

5. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

My 2002 7.3 F-350 has been on AMSOil since I bought it back in '04 from Owner-1. Just rolled past 360,000 miles. It's been an awesome Truck. Towing, Hauling, Hunting, Travel, I would say it was one of the best investments I've made. Have had it paid off now for some time, and not having a Truck Payment is swell.

I would think if you find one similar with just an owner or two who cared for it, you'd be getting a good one. Trouble is that anybody who appreciates their value as I do won't want to part with it for cheap. Back around 320,000 Kelly Bluebook said mine was still worth nearly 10K. It would easily cost me 5x that much to replace with a new Deisel, and it wouldn't even get better mileage. Just fancier, and fresh. Hard for me to imagine selling mine even for more than it's worth...

6. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

P.S. I believe the Gear Ratio in the Rear End has much to do with the mileage you'll get. I'm at 16-18mpg very consistently. However I've spoke with a number of Owners of the same Truck who have not gotten the same fuel efficiency as I do. I'm no expert, but in the comparison process it seemed obvious that my Truck had a slight advantage in that department. Number of Guys had told me they'd get 15mpg tops, and I'd be at 16-18 whether I was Towing/Hauling or not.

Just adding some additional Forum-Blather to the Thread.

7. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

Nick, unless you are towing something big/heavy A LOT, they are not worth it. The high fuel and maintenance costs are prohibative. I had a 2003 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab with the 6.0 engine, 3.73 rear gears. 6 &3/4 ft. bed with a cab high fiberglass cap. Combined city/highway mileage was 16-18 mpg. Highway was 19-20 mpg. if I did not go over 70 mph. I traded it in in 2009 on a F-150 4x4 Crew Cab with the 5.4 gas engine, 3.55 rear gears, and 6.5 ft. bed. I put a folding hard cover tonneau on the bed. I am currently getting 17.7 mpg. combined and 19 mpg. highway at 70-72mph. The deisels hold a LOT of oil and most have 2 fuel filters that need to be changed every 15,000 miles and are expensive. Even if you do the maintenance yourself, it is still not cheap. The 2 fuel filters for the 2003 that I had cost $80-85 and the engine held 15 qts. of oil. The last time I had the oil, oil filter, fuel filters changed and the tires rotated on that 2003 at the dealer it cost me $300. That combined with the high fuel costs was enough for me.

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

ARe you guys running programmers to get 18 mpg - 15 mpg on my 2003 7.3 in town, bone stock. Thanks.

9. tykuhn

tykuhn Senior Refuge Member

Theyre pretty sought after trucks for people in the market for a diesel. You cant beat an older 7.3, the 94-97 have a stronger crank than the 99-03.
    I have a 97 F250, 3.55s, get about 20 on the highway @60mph. If you get one of these trucks (94-97) best thing you can do is replace the stock (flat) downpipe with a 3". It is well worth it, big power and fuel efficiency gain. When the truck was stock I averaged about 17 on the highway, after doing exhaust, intake, downpipe, and chip it went up to around 20.

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2003 excurison with a 7.3 and really like it. I have some mods and get an average of 17 mpg and about 18-19 highway. When I tow my 10k travel trailer I only get about 10 mpg but need to get some injectors replaced. I have been really happy with my 7.3 but wouldn't buy one as a daily driver unless I had to tow something. The 7.3 is a strong motor but the tranny's that go along with them are not that great and tend to go up quickly and are sluggish unless they are rebuilt. You can firm up the tranny shift point with a programmer but without an internal upgrade you may be wearing out the tranny prematurely. The 99-2003 7.3 trucks are highly sought after and that is why they hold their value.

I would love to eventually swap out my tranny when it goes and put in another that has more gears like most of the newer ones do which are more torqy and have better top end as well. There are a lot of good deals on the 6.0 liters out there but be prepared to drop 5k to have it redone by a good diesel shop. I know quite a few folks who bought new 6.0 liters and had nothing but issues and one was bought back by the dealer after many repairs and even after offering a lifetime warranty on the motor. My buddy said what good is the lifetime warranty if it is constantly broke down when he was trying to run a business out of it.