Decoy Forum Sponsors

On The Bench: Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Today I worked on shaping this redhead urn decoy and started 2 canvasback heads.

Shaped 1.jpg Shaped 2.jpg Shaped 3.jpg Heads Started.jpg

2. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

38616E44-0381-4D18-9F0A-38E066CBE3F8.jpeg

No fancy backgrounds or lighting when they are half finished on the bench. Did some base coats and some wet blending on these two today. I still feel like I should paint this cackling goose decoy as a brant instead. We will see, jury is still out I guess. It may end up there before it gets sold or shelved.

And I am having the same annoyed frustrations with the Mallard as I do every time I paint a Mallard. But being from MN, we don’t get to see colored up mallards, so I paint my decoys to be muddled and much less crisp than those in the southern parts of the country might prefer them.

3. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

4. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

Just out of curiosity, could you guys making these fantastic looking decoys estimate how many hours you have invested from start to finish on average per decoy?

5. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Refuge Member

Much more than any sane person would put in. My carving club does carving demonstrations at Game Fair every year, our standard response is 10-12hrs to do a hunting decoy style carving. If you are doing it by hand, faster with power. Could easily be double that for a decorative.

Then another 8-10hrs to paint it. Again, could be double that on a decorative or a hen with all the extra details.

Cork birds go much faster than wooden ones. For me, because I hand carve without power and rough them out with a hatchet and draw knife, so I tend to be a little on the higher side on the carving times.

3labman, WHUP ! Hen and creedsduckman like this.
  6. Mean Gene

Last three orders have been sealed. Need to order some yellow eyes for the redhead urn, but that will have to wait until we get back out west. 20190111_110010.jpg

7. Mean Gene

"Just out of curiosity, could you guys making these fantastic looking decoys estimate how many hours you have invested from start to finish on average per decoy?"

This decorative urn I did was about 45 hours total.

Back.jpg Side 1.jpg

Pastor likes this.
  8. slough hunter

slough hunter New Member

My guess is I have between 15 to 20 hours into most of my decoys. Majority of that time is spent on paint. It takes me maybe 5 hours or so to rough out a decoy with hand tools.

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

About the same here, 4-5 hours getting the shape right using hand tools, no power tools other than a band saw. Then a few mintues painting a few times with a lot of time spent waiting for varnish to cure and paint to dry. Total time of actual painting can be as little as an hour or less and as many as 3-4.

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

20190112_201324.jpg
    All done.... all they need is lines and weights.