One more chance!!

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Jan 22, 2018.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Our goose season ended on Friday. My poorest goose year hunting Idaho.
    Today I decided to do a bit of coyote hunting in the other unit which has a few more days of goose hunting.
    I decided to check out a location on public land that 15 years ago some other coyote hunters told me often held hundreds of geese. Well today I stopped to glass the area , and the sound of geese was quite exiting.
    New plan tomorrow, up early, stomp through the sage and rabbit brush and set out some goose decoys:grvn

BirdJ likes this.
  2. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Salthunter how's it going this morning out there.

3. salthunter

Well not what I expected. Broke trail through the rabbit and sage brush on the BLM ground , six degrees when I parked at the cross fence . Packed gear in over 900 yards, 17 fb decoys and blind with snow cover. I didnt have much cover ,.. well no cover, the cheet grass had been grazed to the dirt. Ducks flying like crazy before first light,.. where in the world were they coming from?
    Only a fraction of the birds showed. I had 6-7 groups of birds slide off at 35-50 yards. I was waiting on that "in front feet down 20 yard shot" that never happened. I finally decided to take a goose that slid off .
    A beautiful day to be out. coyotes from every direction serenading me all morning, No wind, I even sunburned the left side of my face.
    Tomorrow it is going to be windy and wet, snow maybe rain. I might go out tonight and sleep, pack some gear in tonight. It is just too neat of a hunt to pass up.
    While I have never had a 4 goose limit out in the desert it is just too neat of a place to hunt. I love it out there.
    OK the geese get one more chance!!

ajj16 likes this.
  4. JDK

Great Story and thanks for sharing let us know how day 2 goes .

5. salthunter

After putting on my boots I stood up and grabbed my gloves from the kitchen counter; my dog was at the door, there was no way she was staying home.the outside temperature was 43 degrees when I got into the pickups,.. that felt nice even with a wind.
    I was at the fence at 6:00 straight up a little lighter load than Tuesday.
    I had paired the gear down. I brought a bag of lessers and left a bag of honkers at home.

The pack into the location is 760 yards in a straight line, somehow in the wind I got turned around ended up 400 yards from where I should have been.
    I was in the open and set down a bag of decoys, each trip in I was in a different location. I had 4 trip worth of gear spread around in the dark! Im buying some of that reflective cords for next year.
    I started setting up, then wandering around picking up the remainder my other bag of decoys and had to wait until light to find where I had laid my shotgun and decoy stands. 7:45 I started grassing up the layout.
    I could hear geese in the distance but wasnt seeing geese. 20-25 flights of 100-500 ducks were flying overhead, that was fun to watch. A bald eagle, a few hawks an owl, ravens and magpies were keeping me entertained.
    The coyotes opened up a few times, one pack was between me and my pickup. The wind wasnt good, but I pulled apart my duck call and started squealing. All the coyotes got quiet. I think they busted me down wind.
    5 geese were decoying, I was slow sitting up, got two shots , two stone-dead birds.
    An hour later the wind had picked up again , 7 geese feet down, they caught the wind, I sat up and shot once , dropped a goose dead. My old dog looked at me, I pointed and she was out in a flash. First Ive seen her run like that in a while.
    I could see a wall cloud , the wind switched 180 degrees . A flock of 25 blew past me. I thought they werent interested, I could hear them fighting their way back I was listening to them setting down some less than 20 feet. A strong gust of wind and the geese lifted, I passed on the above me shot, The geese tried to work back around flew off.
    Driving out on a two track I saw a truck with a logo on it. Then realized it was a guy looking for the railroad siding. The fellow said his GPS showed it up ahead. I kind of chuckled.

Overall a good hunt , nice day in the blind

ajj16 likes this.
  6. JDK

nice way to finish the season. :tu

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Nice story,I get one more day ,my friend wants to go up to the lease and bring home his trailer,so might as well hunt since we are there.Please fly geese!!!

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Good job. Go to home depot and get the reflector on a stake. They are about 3 feet tall, like $4. I use it to mark where I want my spread when we scout and pull up, shine light and there is the spot. I put one on the check I need to turn on etc. They weight nothing.

9. salthunter

I usually dont have problems finding my way in the dark. I had "marked " where I would be putting my layout with a small stack of native gresses for veging up the layout
    I generally carry a bunch of road reflective tape in my ATV for marking locations. But I didnt have my ATV along when I was hunting.My secondary blind bag I have reflective twisty ties.
    While walking around "lost" Thursday morning I was thinking of buying some of those solar LED butterflies for my daughter and taking the one someone placed in her yard.

Over the past 10 years or so Ive missed finding my pit blind three different times after big snows . This year a fellow I brought along put the reflector in the trash( it looked like trash) after a hunt. The next hunt I marked the pit with a tall stemmed weed,.. that broke and blew away. three of us will GPS coordinates still didn't find it right away.