Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

one volley and they dropped 287 snows

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

2. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Just once....

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I'd rather shoot 5 that finish feet down over decoys.

4. Bob Johnson

so who got the bands????????????????????? classic flock shooting.....but it works.....if you want to KILL. I don't put it down, but Id always want to know that I shot the bird I was aiming at....those guys really don't know which shot which bird.... I like picking a bird then moving onto the next, dropping it and moving onto the next...

5. Foust

Foust Refuge Member

Now those guys are saving the tundra. By God.

7summits and dux/24 7 like this.
  6. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

Every guide and decoy hunter I know hates to see roosts and/or feeds busted like this... but it truely is the most efficient method for numbers. I would gladly kill a pile in a jump if they are adults, but still rather take 40+\- decoyed birds tho. That's where I get my rush from

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Ditto.

8. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

I agree with Rudd. It's not as satisfying jumping a group as it is to see them work a spread.

Been burned to many times by ditch crawlers while trying to decoy birds.

I guess if guys are dead set on jumping, they should have the decency to atleast not shoot them off the roost. That's how you move birds out of the area.

9. Bob Johnson

well.... the way I see it...with the guides getting the $ they do and leasing up thousands of acres( a guide near me says he leases 60,000 acres to duck hunt....) you are going to get the poor souls left outside the fence doing WHATEVER they can to get a hunt in..... and if their ONLY hunt is a roost....well then the guide caused it.....its ridiculous for the guys who have all the access to say" don't mess up my hunt just because you want to hunt"........in sept early goose season.... the canadas are off the river...who knows where...probably golf courses and parks and industrial parks, and they fly back to the river to roost. I hunt them there all the time...its MY ONLY access to those birds.....and if I get 3 hunts...that's better than ZERO hunts. I hunt a swamp that is legally huntable via naviagatble waters laws...and a few guys get in there too many times during the early season and push the woodducks out from over hunting...its sucks....but you cant say jack squat....f they hunted it once a week tops...it would be fantastic.....that's life.....

7summits likes this.
  10. dukgtr187

dukgtr187 Refuge Member

Ive been on both sides of this. I've jumped grinds to get my geese a few times in the past, because I never had the spread or the area and I was always invited to go jump them. This year I set out a spread and decoyed them in to 10 yards, I also did 1 jump shoot on snows this year as well. TBH I really enjoyed working the birds in way better and it is much more of a rush for me now. But if given the opportunity to jump that many geese with unplugged shotguns and no limit I would jump on it, mainly just to say I've done it.

dux/24 7 likes this.