Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

one volley and they dropped 287 snows

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I just think that before the population crashes due to disease or starvation on the breeding grounds (and the destruction of the tundra itself) , that other measures are taken which can bring the population down into manageable numbers. I can remember the days when you hardly ever saw any snow geese at all, and the hunting seasons for them were quite restrictive. I was quite happy when the fall limits on them were 7 or 15 or 20 birds. Always happy to get a limit. Now we can shoot 50 per day in the fall, what is next 100 per day? As long as they don't end up in a ditch, have some fun, but try to put some skill and ethical shooting back into it. It is a "sport" of hunting after all.

whiskyjack likes this.
  2. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

The only way for hunters to put a dent in the population is to raise the fall limits in Canada and encourage hunters to kill adults

DaPutts likes this.
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Again, I probably took close to 300 this fall, but you can only make so much sausage and pepperoni sticks. I filled up a whole freezer with them this fall, and I am still giving them away and bringing them to work on a regular basis. The research is in, and we are NOT making a significant dent in the population, and have to do better. I think that you have to make it more attractive to the duck hunting bunch. I would much rather be in on a good snow goose shoot than a mallard shoot, and if you like pulling the trigger, 50 birds per day should keep your barrel warm. I will have at least 450 socks and 200+ silos and another 150+ shells for this season, and I may even take some time off this spring to chase them around the province a bit. I enjoy pass shooting them as they come off the roost, and have a couple great spring fields to hunt (they never got the crop off last fall, and the ice has laid the crop down for the birds) (and yes, game warden says it is legal to hunt), so hopefully they stick around here a bit.

4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I am scratching my head as I read people say that its all good as long as you use the meat, but don't chastise others who propose POISON.... I cant comprehend the amount of man hours involved in shaking eggs on nests that would result in more population control than 10,000 hunters with no limits. I think of the resident Canada goose problems many states have and I know they band them profusely and wonder if they really had a problem , why didn't they just kill them when they caught them?.....at this point whats the point of banding a local bird or even a snow goose any more.....its pretty obvious already where they breed and where they winter....

5. KID CREOLE

Although I really have issues with jumps in the Spring or CO season depending on how its called in your state, the fact remains darks and ducks are being killed mixed in with the snows/blues.

The other issue I have is showing so many birds flopping around crippled. We all know it happens but why feed the anti hunters. These guys are giving each other props over a banded bird and there are cripples flopping all over, that's just stupid, edit that crap out you dumb asses

As far as the harvested birds, who cares what the hunter does with the meat as long as the bird is not left in the field or thrown in the trash

If hunters are truly concerned about bringing the population down, up your game and kill the adults, there is a endless line of hunters praying for stupid juvies

6. birdhunter98

birdhunter98 Senior Refuge Member

I cringed after the smoke cleared and saw all those crips running around. That being said legal is legal, but I have a little more respect for these birds after hunting them year after year. It's not just about the killing to me. (Although those certain days we can get "paybacks" and a good shoot I enjoy) But good god, don't post your jump "kill" picture on Facebook or instagram and when guys ask "jumped or decoyed", get all butt hurt and ask why it matters, or say nothing at all. Any guy that hunts over decoys knows it matters. I have a hell of a lot more respect and for a guy with a pic of 50 shot over decoys, than the guys that jumped 150.
    Any jack azz can jump snows, but not any jack azz can decoy them....

Huntges11 likes this.
  7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

boy boy some of y'all really don't walk around with your nose THAT high in the air? Give it a break. Oh and some Cali hand with his leftist view on hunting really sucks

Dean Nelson likes this.
  8. KID CREOLE

I probably spend more days hunting snow geese than many on this thread. I damn sure don't have to crawl through a ditch or use ecallers to kill them.

Enjoy crawling in the mud chicken

Nvhunter and GK1 like this.
  9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Been on jumps back in the day a hell of allot bigger then that. I like most every nd hunter older then 30 got started by jumping and pass shooting. Don't do it anymore but getting a big jump is often harder then getting a big day in decoys.

As for the birds starving on the tundra that will never happen in any large form the damn birds just move. They have been doing this song and dance now for 20 years and baring some crazy and at this point nearly impossible disease outbreak the birds are not going anywhere.

And as for bangs moral superiority to them in the fact that you pick out your birds why dont you go back and watch that video again and watch that blue crumple off the very top of the fock and tell me all those guys are shooting into the main body!

Pirogue and jthomp01 like this.
  10. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

All yall that say you respect the birds too much to jump them or you'd rather kill 5 in the decoys verses 100 on a jump......that all fine and dandy ..but just realize the the ditchers are the ONLY reason you still have a spring CO.....Fact is decoy hunters can't kill enough.

P