OOSers, Change Gonna Come

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by bullpinnie, May 4, 2017.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Read it and weep...........:reader

The proposed changes to the nonresident waterfowl WMA permit include:
    1. Eliminating the annual nonresident WMA waterfowl permit;
    2. Limiting nonresidents to only six 5-day nonresident WMA waterfowl permits per season;
    3. Making each nonresident WMA waterfowl permit purchased specific to a single WMA of the buyer’s choosing, and
    4. Increasing the fee for the 5-day nonresident waterfowl permit from $25 to $30.50

2. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

Let me go on the record as saying that this will do nothing, absolutely nothing to appease the bitchin' and moanin'. Net zero.

You could give each resident waterfowl hunter a sack of gold bricks and half would raise hail that they weren't platinum bricks.:joker

They are trying to fix something that ain't broke.:scratch

Perhaps they haven't considered that if they only have a couple of WMA's with water, a sport is probably gonna buy a ticket for that ride, and not cottonmouth gulch.:yes

3. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Saw this the othere day. It's the beginning of the end for traditional AR timber hunting. There will still be whining, crying and finger pointing when this doesn't eleviate the problem. I forget the exact numbers but out of all the NR license sold only about 9500 bought the WMA license as well. I think it was around 15-19% of total Non Res hunting AR.

With the new water control plans the issues will likely rise and those that are vocal about all the issues being the loudiest will call for more restrictions. Next thing you know you'll be standing in line to hope to pull a good number to get the better spots some AFG intern staked out for you...... Don't believe me, lok to your north and northeast... people there have lived the downfall of public hunting ending in less opportunities.

Don't think AR is any different...

4. deltadukman

deltadukman Senior Refuge Member

Cool....I'm sure the Mississippi folks will be talking with the MDWFP about non resident turkey season. Louisianna pulled this a while back over fishing and see what it costs to come kill a pine goat these days.

And I agree, those crying and whining now, will still be crying later. Sometimes its the Indian not the arrow.

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

This will do jack, and I said as much on their survey.

17% of the OOS stamp buyers bought a WMA permit. 8500 people out of 50,000. Since the residents don't buy a permit (get a Sweet 16 though), and another 40-50,000 stamps get sold to them, it would be interesting to know how many residents are hunting the WMA's to get a sense of the true resident/nonresident proportion.

But...it's meaningless. If this does cut down on a few people, they will be replaced by residents.

And then it will be another round of "who else can we restrict"? Pulaski County? Anyone who doesn't live within 50 miles of the WMA? People under 30 or over 60? Alternating even/odd birth years? Everyone will keep pushing for more and more as long as they are outside the restricted group, because everyone just wants "them" gone...it's still too crowded, people are still shot scouting, coming in at shooting time, setting up downwind...

Overcrowding won't be "solved" until you restrict the total number of people on there, period. And then Bayou Meto will be great...if you get a draw, so long as you stay within 100 feet of the stake that marks your assigned spot...no moving 200 yards into the woods to where the ducks are funneling in, etc. It will be like Raft Creek...water conditions will vary the number of spots available, so getting a draw in a dry year will be?? AGFC will love it...no more races, no more fights, they can close down certain accesses, they keep licenses at the check station and know where everyone will be.

stevena198301 and 3inch3's like this.
  6. 3inch3's

Spot on:bow:bow

7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

any of y'all hands that will allow me to claim residence in your tool shed out back

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Send them oosers to Kansas, Okie and N Texas. Unless they want to shoot a few ring necks and a trophy hooded merganser down hera.

9. ArkieMan

ArkieMan Senior Refuge Member

How many of y'all hunt Bayou Meto? Sounds simple, if you believe overcrowding down there is a problem (I do), then limiting access should help. Will it take it back to the early 70s or 80s? Probably not, bit I believe it's a step in the right direction.

Its math, If there are 100 trucks at a turnaround and half are OOS, if this cuts OOS to 75 - that's an improvement (if u believe overcrowding is a problem).

10. 3inch3's

It's the first step toward someone telling you where and when you can hunt.... Those 25 OOS trucks will just be replaced with resident trucks... It is the same path taken in other areas that eventually leads to staked areas and draws.... You guys don't know how good you have it for having as many places that are wide open to hunt where you please. The whining and crying will eventually end all that and you'll be standing in line at 0400 to register to hopefully get a spot some AFG person staked in the woods. Don't draw a good number and ya get to drive back home.... Once one area institutes it, it will spread to other areas....

Randy likes this.