OPE Retrievers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by goose knuckle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. goose knuckle

goose knuckle Senior Refuge Member

About 10 months ago, I decided after a lot of research, checking references etc. to take my 6 month old CBR male "Finn" to Josh Ward at OPE Retrievers.

This decision proved to be one of the worst I've made in my life.
    I got my dog back after 6 months and $3k in fees and found out absolutely nothing was done. My dog is at a reputable trainer now who advised me of the following;
    Josh said my dog was force fetched, no evidence of force fetch at all.
    Josh said my dog was collar conditioned, no evidence that he ever had a collar on.
    Josh said my dog was steadied to shot, no evidence of that either.
    When I got my dog home he wouldn't even pick up a bumper, he would run to it and stand next to it. When I dropped him off he was fetching 20 marks in a row up to 50 yards.

All I got from my dog's time there was a $3k bill along with gas and time to get him there and back, some nice kennel sores on his legs, some crookedness in his legs from being kept on a dog trailer, and a nice scar on his head.

I've tried contacting Josh via text, email and phone asking him for a refund, no response.

Part of this is my fault, I never second guessed this guy when I should have.
    I'll never be able to get that time with my dog back, and chances are slim I'll get any money back, but I can try to keep this from happening to anyone again.

Feel free to contact me privately if any of you would like to discuss this further. Since a friend posted on OPE Retrievers' Facebook page I've gotten several private messages from people who have had the same horrible experience.

2. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

So you sent your dog off to training for 6 months and never once checked up on him or had the trainer email you video's of him working...?

3. goose knuckle

I checked on him plenty, asked for pictures, videos, etc., I got 3 pics and 1 video in 6 months, all play time videos. It took 5 calls and 10 texts to get a reply.
    Went to visit once, trainer said he was a slow learner and soft but he'd get it done. My dog is at a new trainer now that said he's neither, he's broken.
    Like I said, part of this is my fault, when I got second thoughts, I should have went there and gotten the dog immediately.
    I forgot in my first post that when I picked up my dog, he smelled so bad like feces and urine, I had to move his crate from the cab to the bed of my truck.

4. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

goose knuckle - i guess use your lesson to teach/warn others about your bad experience and good luck w/ the new trainer.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. goose knuckle

Thanks Pintail, I appreciate it. The new trainer is really encouraged by the progress my pup is making, but he's still got a lot of hills to climb.

6. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Did this situation involve litigation?

...A "client" that benefits from excellent retriever training and because the dog is a bit of a slow learner receives as much free training as that which he pays for. Then, after time and for whatever reason (the owner or the dog), it doesnt retain the training so he takes you court....

7. Ben

Ben Elite Refuge Member

The guy sounds like a real piece of work! Sounds to me like the guy just wanted your money.

Isn't he the same person as the Marsh Mutt person that sponsors this site?

8. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

Almost my exact same experience. Got my dog back after 11 months with Josh and he had done almost no training. Dog looked terrible and had a bad case of worms. I was going to post a warning to others on this site but figured the finger would be pointed back at me for not properly checking on my dog. I did check up on him, but being 500 miles away I had to take Josh at his word. He kept promising that things were good and training was progressing but I come to find out he did ZERO training with my dog. Terrible experience with OPE Retrievers and Josh Ward, hope others will steer clear and save themselves a lot of trouble.

9. goose knuckle

I want to make as many of the good people on here aware of this guy. He is a sponsor on here through OPE Retrievers and Marsh Mutt, so I'm not surprised my post on the main forum got deleted.

10. goose knuckle

No litigation, although he has been sued for treating dogs and people this way before.