OPE Retrievers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by goose knuckle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

No choosing a pro for me, thanks. I choose to take the time to train my own and am very happy with each and every one of my dogs. Nobody to blame but myself that way and no need to slander, defame or just generally flame a pro on a duck hunting forum.
    If I were to evaluate a pro, I would need many references both good AND bad. I would also go and observe training methods and have them run dogs of various levels. Last, but not least, I would be visiting my dog and observing progress. If no visible progress, pull em.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Just one thought/pice of unsolicited advice - probably worth what you paid for it, and maybe one of the pros on here will chime in.

It's tough, especially after what you went through with OPE, to not want to call the trainer every day. Maybe you already did this with the trainer, but if not, ask him how ofter it is cool to talk call to check in.

If he is running a lot of dogs a trainer has incredibly long days - it is a dark to dark job and once they get the dogs fed and aired before shutting down for the night there are a lot of days the last thing they want to do or have time to do is call 20 clients back to assure them that their dog is doing ok.

An agreed upon check in schedule can make sure you aren't 'bugging' the trainer and a dog is more likely to show reportable progress on a week-to-week basis than on a day-to-day basis.

Like I said, take that for what it's worth. I got to be pretty good friends with a trainer and that's just some of what he shared with me that worked well for him - I imagine every trainer is a bit different.

3. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Nope, never claimed to have any answers. Just would never flame somebody who is self employed trying to help people out with their dogs. I would take it to the individual personally and try to resolve privately. If that didn't work, then there is small claims court.

Just really hate to see society continuously blaming everybody else for their own screw ups all the time. Take responsibility and do it better the next time. How does it possibly take one six months for somebody to figure out that nothing has been done with their dog? :scratch

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Wade, knuckle wants to know:

:l:l:l

As for me, I've got to get my $3K dry cleaning. If a white shirt I dropped off is now brown, I'll address it before I leave.:yes

5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

You can still use it to run HRC test..............the brown shirt I mean!!

6. goose knuckle

goose knuckle Senior Refuge Member

Spaight, I've texted once to check in, the other communications have been initiated by him.

7. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Good deal.

8. big n nasty

big n nasty Elite Refuge Member

Sending your dog to a trainer and not checking on it is very common. I know of do e trial people that send multiple dogs to multiple trainers across the country and they never see the dogs.
    I am sending my pup south next year for 3 months and might not go check on her. I'm just not sure what pro I am going to use. But I will have all the training done before I send her and only want her to get a steady diet of long marks, big water marks and blinds and lining drills.

9. inhuntr

inhuntr Senior Refuge Member

Thank You! Good advice for everyone checking out any kennel.

10. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

Thats all the time he had:grvn