Open your eyes

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Jan 13, 2018.

1. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

How many times have you heard no ducks coming to Louisiana due to mild winters. Maybe you’ve even thought all we need is some cold weather up north and we’ll get birds like we use to. We now have had two artic fronts without any appreciable increase in ducks. What this will tell anybody with half a brain is that DU has been taking your money to increase duck habitat up north. Due to increased habitat including available food ducks no longer have a reason to migrate south. And how about those duck counts taken by the state. Baloney. Fewer ducks and fewer ducks shot. The surveys are nothing more than fake news. You can book it, a major change has occurred over the years and you paid for it with your federal taxes and contributions to DU. Instead of DU, how about a new group called The South Will Rise Again. All contributions to this organization will go to pay northern farmers to plow fields under after harvest and to introduce water hyacinth to northern resovoirs built as rest areas in order to silt them up.

2. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

3. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

Then what’s the problem here in Louisiana that dosnt seem to affect Mississippi.

Although I think the original post is somewhat pointing in the right direction. I think the problem is here also not just north of us.

4. Steel3's

The original post is mostly BS. DU hasn't restored any more habitat in states north of us (outside the breeding grounds) than they have here in our state. And the states north of us still have less wetland habitat than they had in the 50's.

But a couple things are absolutely right: Louisiana hunters need to open their eyes, and the problem is indeed right here at home, as well as across the entire Northern hemisphere. Louisiana's coastal wetland loss and degradation; loss of rice acreage and the large reduction in what food is provided by what we have left due to round-up ready seeds, harvest efficiency and post-harvest manipulation; and invasive aquatics combined with hemisphere-wide changes in climate, land-use, and agricultural practices ........ but yet hunters wonder why they don't see/kill the same number of ducks as in the past.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Duckfiend and JP like this.
  5. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

I can’t argue with any of that.
    I do have one observation I have been noticing. There are all these intensely managed duck habitats popping up all over affecting the way the ducks that are here locally are distributed.
    The ducks pile up in these places and don’t leave. Many only get hunted a few times a week if that and given the degradation of most of the natural habitat it’s understandable, but sucks for the rest of us.
    I wonder what percentage of the ducks counted on Steel3’s fly overs are counted in places like this.

6. Steel3's

We are really good at distracting ourselves from fundamental issues by exaggerating annoyances.

7. Steel3's

The transect lines are allocated randomly, not according to any landscape feature, and thus are representative of whatever is happening on the surveyed area. So if larger acreages are being intensively managed and lightly hunted, then the survey will catch those acres in proportion to their abundance. One of my goals is to geo-reference every duck observation on the survey so we can tie those observations to marsh processes determined at each of the CRMS (Coastwide Reference Monitoring Stations). We currently do that only for the mottled duck survey, where we count a lot fewer birds and it's more manageable. But once we develop that capability for the fall surveys, we would be able to parse the aerial survey data to look at things like that.

Not sure what I would do with the information, because I am confident intensively managed/lightly hunted property would hold more birds. That's why hunters that have the means, choose to buy land, manage it, and exclude other hunters. And yes, it sucks for those of us without the means.

8. GHK

GHK Senior Refuge Member

I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing we can do. I bought a new boat that how I cope, fish don’t migrate that far. lol

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

So are you saying that ducks know that habitat in LA is degraded and that’s why they short stop?

10. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

No, we succumb to the bull we are continually being fed. It’s real simple. Either the ducks are in Louisiana or they are not. Changing the subject to ducks in Mississippi or explaining transect lines avoids the issue. Either the ducks are in Louisiana or they are not.