Open your eyes

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

True. The diversion in the Master Plan will help the trees, but it will take something else to get rid of the Salvinia.

As to the earlier question about spinners being banned back in the time baiting, electronic calls and magazine restrictions, quite possble. At the time, it was a group of duck hunters who advocated for the rules.

2. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

I truly believe Roundup is poisoning our ducks

3. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

No whirligigs, 30 and 3. Lets do this for a few years, take some pressure off of the birds and monitor the results. Other than teal season, we haven't used a spinner for the last two years.

4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Clearly SW La still gets their share of mallards and the areas I mentioned in Avoyelles Parish do as well but they manage pressure.

I know what’s happened in the flyway north of us in the last 20 years of liberal regs from a preferred habitat perspective and none of it benefits Louisiana duck hunters.

I’ll just keep grinding with an eye to the sky. Nothing will change until the PPR goes dry again and the monster that duck hunting has become loses some of its roar!

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

So we'll have to chunk rocks at 'em? I know that's not what you meant, but who ultimately determines "fair chase"? Rocks may not be at the bottom of that slope. Can't even clunk a dove with rock in some states.

6. Hollow Point

Hollow Point New Member

Maybe a non waterfowl hunting group would be able to help with the fair chase decision. A die hard deer hunter understands fair chase is not being used when a battery operated Q beam is blinding a 12 point at night and being shot. A fishing group knows it is not fair chase to use mechanically operated equipment to shock fish to the surface and then scoop up trophy bass. Just as e-callers had been determined as giving the duck hunter more of the advantage and were outlawed requiring duck hunters to rely on their own duck calling abilities, mechanically operated decoys should fall in the unfair group. If the hunter needs motion in his decoy spread, their are un-mechanical means. Rags, jerk strings tied to some of the decoys, in flooded hardwood bottoms they could kick at the water to make the ripples when the birds aren't zeroed on them...etc.

7. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

I knew Michigan banned dove hunting and figured some others did too. Bu didn't know that....

In 1918, 27 states banned hunting of Doves. As of 2007, only 10 states ban Dove hunting.

States that ban Dove hunting are: Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont.

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The federal government. If it were left up to hunters, then ducks would be extinct.

Spinners absolutely would have been outlawed if they had been around when the MBTA was written. The unnatural effectiveness of spinners on attracting ducks is proven and well-documented. I believe the spinner issue has a good chance of being revisited next time the prairie dries up and duck populations plummet, if not before.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Which non waterfowl hunting group has the stroke to influence how "fair chase" is defined? PETA? The Humane Society?

Currently, change would have to come from the individual states (some of which already regulate with a bow to non hunting pressures), the USF&WS (which changes leadership on Presidential whim) or the courts. I'd be cautious about poking a potential hornets' nest.

10. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Yep, I don't get it either. Luckily, deer don't have wings.

Edit - Although your habitat hasn't changed, I still believe WRP and the Black River Lock has come home to roost on the surrounding areas.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018