Open your eyes

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Jan 13, 2018.

1. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

You have to remember, those few years there were ducks everywhere. We killed stacks of mallards every where we went, too. '99-ish.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

99-2000 was setting up to be a record year in AR even before most had heard of a robo. We were limiting every day at my place (8-10 people) the first two weeks, but sometimes it took til about 9:00 (no complaints), and then someone put out a spinner. Spread like the flu that December, and D-cell batteries were ad rare as .22 ammo under Obama.

3. JHerr

Denmon couldn't have timed it better. Everyone put these things out and mallards fell out the clouds, but mallards were falling out the clouds regardless, but I reckon MOJO still gets the credit with some. I watched thousands fly in one afternoon while deer hunting, flight after flight. Shortly after for the first time saw mallards rolling across a aflatoxin/disked-down corn field like black birds. Easy come easy go.

I'll add my timing was right-on as well, as I had plenty of time to chase them back then.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

So when was the last time you hunted deer hunted over here and actually saw flight ducks. I would say about 6-7 years ago

5. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

I guess Steel3s is done with the discussion

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Hence the quote in my signature. I was writing for a magazine back then and had read a bit about the spinners being used in California. Chuck Epp of Miracle Decoy called me one day and offered a free decoy if I'd promise to write a positive article. I told him I could guarantee that, but if he sent a decoy I'd use it and either write something positive if it worked or just send it back if it didn't. He declined. It was a few weeks into that season, about a month after the call, when someone stuck one up in front of my blind. Three flocks later I said, "This is going to be the end of duck hunting," and I called Chuck to try to reopen negotiations.

7. JHerr

I can't really remember on flight ducks.
    The last good, consistent hunting we had was 04-05, one good shoot from 06 on our place. I went mobile after that. It's never been a duck mecca, but used to when the bottoms flooded we had a few ducks to harass. Not any more, except for a few woodies. And it's not just our place.

8. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Good flight days twice this year both times in January before everything locked up but the rivers.

Before this year I can’t remember.

9. JHerr

My bro had one with metal wings, and had a damn good place to hunt.

10. ukcpeak

ukcpeak Senior Refuge Member

Yes the late 90s were bonkers, but if you didn't hunt over a SWD before 2000 you won't understand what I'm talking about...it was unfair and nobody who used that thing in the late 90s would say they weren't a game changer. By 2000 SWD use was wide spread and effectiveness in LA started to decrease. Mojo came out with a remote in 2001 because every swinging Richard in the country was spinning. Then 2002 rolled along and all our sugar turned to poo.