Open your eyes

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by borntohunt, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Got brutal in AR too for a few years, and then things returned to something akin to normal. Duck behavior is a bit different, other than the few years when spinning was banned, but the ducks came back.

2. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

I put some ducks in a pen and fed them Roundup. They all died. The Roundup ducks eat in the wild any different? My opinion is it is killing our ducks and affecting their navigation abilities. Like hampering their hypothalamic magnet directional glandular functions. I bet you cant find the Monsanto studies on that, can you?

3. BGcorey

BGcorey Senior Refuge Member

Whoa this thread got hot, gotta be the highest page count in years... so I can remember when I posted several years ago, either 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 season in the annual end of season whining thread about how I’ve never seen The “ old days” and how it used to be and prolly never will. But sure wasn’t complaining about the seasons I was having. Well now I can complain, past 2 seasons salvinia, high water, and warm weather hurt us. Now this season we had great water conditions, salvinia not a problem, and some cold weather...and this season was actually worse than the last 2. I hope it’s not a trending pattern.

What I didn’t realize was the duck imprinting theory and how less juveniles may not ever make it to La and never be able to bring their buddies so on and so forth, for whatever reason. I can see how that would put a decrease in #s for us here in LA. I found that interesting. I know there is lots of reasons to blame for decrease in ducks and some maybe facts, but all I wish for is that there be enough ducks for my first retreiver to be happy with. I’d love to see some areas of the coast restored, I feel bad for The SELA guys when the duck #s come out from Reynolds survey, it’s just sad.

4. Hiram Evans

Corey, the ducks died and now your first retriever will die too. My opinion is the Roundup soaks thru his fur and then, dead as a Bermuda Grass sprout. The ducks will be poison too, unless your dog picks them up with a frog gig, he will get the stuff in his mouth, and then its time for mouth-foaming and glassy eyed back flipping, then, on to the Rainbow Bridge. Have you noticed a decrease in water fleas/invertebrates in your field? Right, it could be the Roundup.

Mallards have orange feet, Roundup in 'Nam was called Agent Orange. Coincidence? I think not.

5. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

I’ll tell you something else that’s no coincidence. Monsanto, the company that invented Roundup, gives hundreds of thousands of dollars to Ducks Unlimited to build refuges up north. Coincidence? I think not.

6. Hiram Evans

I think it causes baldness and kills baby eagles. Somebody, please do something!

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

You may be onto something. I mean everyone knows the boll weevil eradication program is the reason we don't have quail.