Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Opening day 2015

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by muskrat25, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

That's not unlucky. If you can't identify, don't shoot. My rule this time of year is no big ducks until 7am

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

well, that's not the law trevor.

The dept. went through pain staking efforts to protect wood ducks during the early teal season, from being harvest. And up until recently, you were not allowed to shoot until sunrise. Now, if you cant identify a wood duck from a teal, I think you might need some identification practice afield....we agree. Black ducks on the other hand are mallards....black mallards as many call them.....because they ARE black mallards.....hell, most of the time you can't even identify it as a BLACK MALLARD until you get it in hand and even then you could probably get the case thrown out because there's some white in the speculum. If the dept was concerned about them being harvested, why not enact the sunrise rule for them as well for the first split....or just let you harvest them.

They're almost setting you up for failure.....making you wait til 7 to shoot. That's absurd.....but, if that's your rule, I respect it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

If you mistake a blackduck for a mallard then you thought it was a hen. If you shoot hens you're going to hell! It's the 11th commandment..thou shall not shoot hens.

Proposed by DU and approved by Jesus himself.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

They have a great rule in place, you can't shoot them in October. That's left up to each hunter, on a cloudy day you may not be able to tell until 8am, under the right conditions you can tell right after legal. I'd rather have individual responsibility than a rule in place for every possibility.

It only becomes an issue when guys break that rule, and then go public about it.

Chad, in today's modern society we should treat hens and drakes all the same, even the old drakes that dress like hens.

5. easternshorerednek

easternshorerednek Elite Refuge Member

Seems like nowadays it's only a problem when the blacks get shot, the white farm ducks don't matter. Here's a question, if a white hunter shoots a black duck during the early season what city do we riot and burn down?

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I said no BIG DUCKS until 7. We have very few mallards where I hunt this time of year and only a few black ducks, most of our ducks are wood ducks which are easily distinguished in any light from a big ducks. I tell people no big ducks until 7 simply because I know what the majority of our big ducks are this time of year and don't want any mistakes made until there is enough light to correctly identify. If you can't tell a black duck from a hen mallard on the wing in decent lighting then you are blind, there is a huge color difference.

Honestly this is no different than us limiting on black ducks in the first 5 minutes and having to wait 15-20 minutes before shooting again to have enough light to identify so as not to shoot over our limit. If you can't identify, don't shoot.

7. carolina girl

7-8am is admirable, for sure.......................but.....no thanks on my boat.

8. carolina girl

......it was posted very clear chad was using steel..........while you may be able to identify a duck on the wing like a falcon in the sky, evidently you cant read.

9. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty simple Chris, if you are not sure what the duck is due to low shooting light, you don't shoot. If you do, you run the risk of breaking the law, period. There is no other way of looking at it. I don't wait til 8 am or whatever, but I also don't shoot if I'm not sure, if it matters. If everything is legal, I really don't care what type of duck it is first. After that, yes I pay attention. Again, if you don't want to chance getting a ticket, than don't shoot, if you're not sure. Just because they let you shoot 1/2 hour before sunrise, doesn't mean they will go easy on you because it was a common mistake. In fact, I've never been with someone who made that mistake, because I hunt with people who give a damn about the law and following it.

The lesson this dude should have learned was, don't post up illegal shi t on the Internet and expect not to get called out. The poor guy now has told everyone on the Internet where he hunts, we know his vehicle, etc. he already proved that he is ok with breaking the law, and should expect to be watched from here on out. I don't care that it happened, people make mistakes, but this one could have been prevented by his own admission. He said he got a little trigger happy... Come the eff on. Everyone gets excited about it, but there are those of us who are mature enough, and experienced enough to take care not to shoot first and identify later, on big ducks, in October. If anyone disagrees with this, than you probably don't think much of the law either.

10. duck-it

duck-it Senior Refuge Member

I bet some people have a hard time rinsing their face holding water in their hands with the holes in them, dam get off the soap box.
    Think about the law the next time you do more then the speed limits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.