Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Opening day 2015

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by muskrat25, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

The ol' boy make a series of mistakes...the worst of which was posting the pic.
    If you've never misidentified a bird then you haven't hunted enough. Be it at 29 minutes before sun up or at 3 in the afternoon. A mistake is a mistake. I've made many.

2. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

Despite legal shooting hours... The law also states you can't shoot a black duck in october. If you can't identify it as a mallard or something other than a black... You don't shoot. Period. That's not luck. You will have mallards you can't shoot because of it.

Sent from my C6750 using Tapatalk

Keith McGowan likes this.
  3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Something weird is going on, I can't believe I agree with Scotty and Trevor on this one.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/muskrat25/ObiWanDisturbance_zpsza4tqoih.jpg

(Sorry, Alex, not sure why your picture showed up in that meme! :dv )

My current wood duck spot, 8 years and counting, has a plethora of wood ducks this time of year. (Look for "Three Amigos" on Netflix if you don't know what a plethora is, or if you want to know where to find a woman's veranda.) It has very few teal. There are a bunch of black ducks that use that creek and the adjoining marshes year round, and this time of year, it is very rare to see a mallard. Even in January, I'd say at least 10% of big ducks are black ducks.

So, I told my kids and their friends "no big ducks" in the first split, and we're usually packing up by 7:30 at the latest. Every duck is seen in silhouette against the sky, and then almost disappear into the inky darkness of the woods when they toll in. Makes for exciting wood duck shooting, but not worth the high probability of a BD kill for a slim chance of a mallard.

Next two splits, we tend to hunt a little more open area, but still been plenty of times the first early shot results in a "surprise" black duck being killed pre-dawn and then we have to be very careful, passing on suspicious ducks that turn into mallards as they fly out of range.

I'd rather be responsible for my own actions and have the full 30 minutes before sunrise instead of adding more restrictions. For that matter, I'd like to be trusted to shoot ducks in the 30 minutes after sunset too........ but I don't think that's going to happen.

With so many black ducks around, its tempting to say they should be allowed early season too, but honestly, with the lack of mallards around, I think black ducks would get hammered!

But I think Mr. Mallard has been beat up enough. He ought to just close that account, and sign up again as Mr. Black Duck- then he'd be off limits, at least until November!

4. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

This!!!

More internet bullies on this forum most. That's why you rarely see new members here and older members post infrequently or at all anymore. And you wonder why you have a hard time getting anyone to support the MDWFA from this site? Maybe it's your collective attitude.

Mr Mallard - good luck hunting this year.
    Scotty - pick on someone your own size.[/QUOTE]

If you do something stupid own it on here.
    There have been guy's on here that frequently sink boats and rent radish fields.
    If you are prone to getting your panties wadded up the youth forum might be a better place to post.
    Most of the volunteers on MDWFA ( officers and county reps)are on this site.

Keith McGowan and Scotty like this.
  5. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Of course, by "pre-dawn" I meant "pre-sunrise".

They really need to change the current editing situation. But then again, think of how boring this thread would have been without it......

Keith McGowan and derek like this.
  6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

When j was 8 and took my hunters safety course in 1981 I remember being told never shoot or point a weapon at anything you can't positively identify.

7. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I don't think anyone here or statewide really cares.....except scotty....Derek and trevor........and of the three, a simple private message to this person would of been the more diplomatic way to handle it. While he may of been acting like a child for not thinking it completely through before posting the pic and story, I see you all are not acting much older by feeling compelled to call him out on it....then ramble for 13 pages why your right.

Well, your right......he and I are wrong. Thread closed....happy hunting

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Chris, I quite positive more than three of us care about breaking the law... True, a pm may have been better, but doing it in public may also get someone, who may not know better, to stop and think about what they are doing.
    As far as not hunting long enough if you've never made a mistake, well I've been hunting a fair amount, killed a duck or two and have NEVER shot a black duck out of season. I'm not saying it will never happen, but I sure as hell wouldn't post it on the Internet!

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Yeah but you're almost perfect, the rest of us aren't that good.:flame

10. SkeeterMD

SkeeterMD Elite Refuge Member

It's so much easier for me just being an outlaw.
    No worries or sleepless nights.
    Skeeter

mmayes and Mr_Mallard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.