Opening Day at the Bottoms

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Tuleman, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mike0311

Mike0311 Refuge Member

By no means are they experts, one of them is quite the goober. That being said they new more than I did when I started and were putting out more info then I could have even begin to think about at the time. That being said it is always best to scout and find a place, which they mention many times in their videos. I have been doing just that this morning for Saturday so I don't have to worry much about someone being at or near the spot I plan on hunting. In fact I've only worried about that in flooded crop fields.

2. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

The journey should have been the exploration of improvement on your hunting skills. That's what MW is saying. The internet deems you a loser if you can't post pile pics on your tailgates after the hunt. The nature of the hunt, learning how to adjust when things aren't going well, putting in the observation hours (even if you really don't know what you're looking for), reading ducks, etc. All of these make a hunter who he/she is, and then build upon those skills. Yes, it's fine to watch videos on the internet to hone skills, but the internet has bred a culture on the necessity of instant success. It also has defined people who have no idea what they're doing as an "industry expert". I'm no expert at anything but I've figured out more from trial and error than anything. Yea, it's cost me time, money, sleep and probably a few hairs, but I've found some success in it.

The bottom line, is people need to shut their mouth and open their ears. Public land is public land but don't be advertising it to everyone. It only takes one time for people to learn their lesson. Depending upon the area, shut up about private land too. And then other areas, it doesn't matter because a guy can't get permission anywhere. No matter how much we all want to help, I only trust a handful of people and I'm not willing to give up the minor successes I've found so one person can tell one person that can tell one person that tells another that tells another and so on and so on. That's usually when it gets crowded and you're back to square one.

GK1 likes this.
  3. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

I never knew duck hunting was so complex. :dv

4. Mike0311

Mike0311 Refuge Member

Cliner I understand what you are saying, that being said no one should bash someone willing to help people learn. I'm betting 90% of the people on sites like this has had someone to teach them at one point in their lives. A few like me have had to learn it on our own, I'm glad I had YouTube to show me some things. Going out some days and get a few, and other days not getting anything is fine. But you take a guy that knows nothing about ducks other than they taste good and tell him to get a call some decoys and go to water. Like some folks do. He's not going to taste many of his own birds that first season and probably won't hunt for them the next season. Only problem I have found with duck hunters is that to many are packing into the flooded crop field. If you take time and watch those channels they don't hunt those places very often. I would even say that with them giving ideas of what to look for in places I was able to be out shooting ducks almost every day of late season last year while almost everything was froze solid enough to ice fish on.

5. MrMallard88

MrMallard88 Senior Refuge Member

For gosh sakes. These guys have been waterfowl hunting for four years. Not sure you can become credible at anything in only four years...

If I had just started casually trading some stocks 3-4 years ago -- does that mean I'm in any position to be advising any one else about stock trading? What does that say about someone taking advice from me? It makes them dummies, that's what.

At least 10 years ago the black hoodie prostaff crews were learning from hunting DVD series' produced and sold by experienced, credible, lifelong waterfowl hunters. Hunters that hunted before it was "cool" or there was any such thing as a "prostaff", or social media influencers. To be fair, these same people producing those DVDs were the ones that instigated this look-at-me, tailgate, pile picture culture, but at least they had some years of experience. Not that these videos were good for the sport as a whole, but at least you were being shown by example that you can shoot decoying birds, what a call is ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE, how to hide, how to set up decoy spreads, how to adjust when things get tough. Obviously, some were better than others. But ALL of them had hunted for longer than these YouTube jokers have.

I realize BG uses a fisheye go-pro for a lot of his footage, but I would venture to say not a whole lot of his birds come within 30 yards. Just because you can make a pile with 14 other guys in A-Frames blasting a wall of steel into a flock of lessers, doesn't mean you are good at anything. I'd like to see him land some big bunches and let them go -- that tell's me more about him as a hunter than a pile does. Also, maybe I would have some more respect for him if he put his gun down, and actually took some quality video -- instead of worrying about how many shells he can ring off. I literally refuse to watch that garbage. I also don't believe he ever has actually found a spot of his own - kid is totally reliant on being invited by others to produce his content.

While I totally agree with Marshwalker about how Facebook, Instagram (SM in general), YouTube, and the internet has not done any favors to waterfowlers -- to be fair, I do think that some internet content pushes people to become better hunters. I know that I have benefited to some extent from watching calling contests, and hunting DVDs -- but the guys I'm watching and taking cues from have been hunting for more than 4 years. I'd love to see SM go away all together. The cons outweight the pros, IMO.

At the end of the day (and this goes for most things in life), if you're always looking for the easy way out, the "shortcut to success" -- chances are you probably just don't care that much. The struggle to get there is half the fun - and once you do figure it out, don't f**kin brag to everyone around you about how great you are.

I'm done griping now. Wake me up when the limit goes back to two ducks - maybe that will thin the YouTube herd.

PS - You know whats cooler than making a pile with friends and posting pictures to brag --- making a pile with friends and acting like you've been there before, and will be there again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. duckhunter22

duckhunter22 Refuge Member

I don't know that a 2 duck limit will thin anything out. That'll just make it easier to make clickbaity titles about "shooting limits". You'll just see them hunt with 20 guys, so they can still have a big pile.

I don't have a problem with people filming their hunts, as I do it myself. I do have a problem with how people portray hunting to the younger generations, just as you guys have stated. I hate the "make a pile", "stack 'em", and "make it rain" mantras. And don't even get me started on "spray and pray". I absolutely do not understand the appeal of hunting with 10 guys and everyone dumping all three shells and a group passing over only to drop 4 birds, and the hooping and hollering in celebration after such events drives me insane. Also, all the constant product pushing of cookie cutter clothes with a logo on it is annoying. These are the guys that make non-hunters view hunters as just killers.

I prefer watching videos of people that I feel like I could actually share a blind with. They may not be "professional hunters" but at least they don't try to act like they are. They may not be the best callers or the best shots, but they're just out documenting their hunts and at least showing how you should hunt ethically. I.E. shooting ducks in the decoys rather than skybusting. The guys that show what it's like hanging out in the blind, joking around with your buddies between flocks. And the guys you can tell genuinely enjoy being out there, even when they aren't making a pile or shooting limits. The guys that

Now to the point about making money off the videos while on public lands. I doubt we'll ever see something like that, but if it did, I personally have no problems removing monetization from my videos. I don't film my videos to make money, I film to capture the memories with I have with my friends, because I know someday when we're older we will want to look back on it. I also have a lot of family that likes to follow along with what I'm doing, YouTube is just the easiest platform for sharing them. Granted, I have nowhere near the following that these other guys have, so I have barely made $100 total in the years that I've done it. Like I said though, that's not what its about to me.

As far as videos making people flood into the Bottoms, I don't really feel that is the case. I think it is more down to the internet as a whole. If anyone searches for "best public duck hunting" or the like, the Bottoms is high on that list. With many articles about the place talking about how great it is. I'm not saying the videos don't push a few people that way.. I just think it's a small drop in the bucket of other things. At least as far as those of us that at least try to make some kind of effort to hide where we are going, as opposed to those others that put the location in their title in big capitalized letters.

KS Waterfowl and dux/24 7 like this.
  7. Marshwalker

Marshwalker Senior Refuge Member

8. Marshwalker

Cliner well said, best thing written on here in awhile.

9. Marshwalker

Did anyone use the old trifold brochures from KDWPT before Internet and Google earth? I would go the officesame and collect a few and keep in a 3 ring notebook with notes and water levels of the lakes. Still have it on my shelf. Half the fun was driving to an unknown location with no WATERFOWL REPORT and finding birds taking a gamble.

10. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

I also kept a 3 ring binder. Used brochures and USGS QUAD maps. Would rank potential spots and make a key with nickname for the spot. Would write names and phone numbers for property owners. Kept area-wide phone books in the truck.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Neck Collar and Marshwalker like this.
  11. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I have a whole collection of WA brochures including CB from the mid 1980s. Many of them have circles and x’s on them. I also have weekly hunting reports cut out from the local paper.