Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Opening Day Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Sep 3, 2017.

1. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

The sport of waterfowl hunting has now been commercialized to almost the same extent as bass fishing - and the near-tournament programs do continue to exist within some small-geographic hunting areas.

The TV shows that glamorize the hunts with un-controlled laughter and high-fives after a ten-man gang shoot over 500 decoys that downed only five (5) birds, is a Saturday morning case on point. And only the dog is then capable of marking where the birds are downed. It's a sad commentary about what excess can do over time, to a once prolific natural resource.

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

And why do you think that is? The entry barriers to hunting in Europe (most of my experience is with Germany where my cousin is a forester/huntmaster) are extraordinary. Financial costs are high. Education/testing requirements are high. Opportunity on public land is low..... It's a the game of the wealthy or the extremely dedicated. Like gunning in the US used to be 50-100 years ago.

Contrast that with the US where any donkey with a shotgun, a box of shells and $50 for a license literally has millions upon millions of acres of public land available to hunt. The bar is set pretty low.

It's not too hard to figure out what the culprit is here.

I don't agree with the whole body-count mentality...but my dog....before she retired...she was all about body count.

3. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

Afternoon Goose Chasers,

We hunt from Imperial to Watrous and on the long drive to Janson area, but try to stay mobile and scout the birds. Not uncommon to drive 100 miles + each evening. We also like to do the afternoon hunt for snows then chase the Cranes in the morning. Crazy schedule, up at 3:00 am and in bed by 9:00 PM. Heading back up on the 21st of October for another 10 days.

The Cranes did take a bit of a hit along with the Canada Dark Goose. Snows gave us a run for the money with mild weather and no wind. Very dry everywhere, but it is raining today with 20+ winds.

Sorry I did not post reply's early, I am two busy hunting and chasing birds.

Dennis S.
    Rio Rancho, NM