Opening day.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by WaterFoulHunter, Oct 16, 2017.

1. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

5770CA3A-8D95-4951-BE46-E89B6F3AA989.jpeg 3 year old Vador on the bow of the boat, back at the launch after the hunt 3 guns, 10 mallard, 2 sprig, 2 gadwall and 4 teal. Hunt was cut short when my partner fell in over his waders-2x!- and got cold.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Nice dog. Glad you had a good opener. I keep a "dunk bag" in the boat. Contains towel, set of long johns, wool sweater, socks. I've had to use it, too. On a 10 degree day at the Clark Fork Delta. But the hunt went on.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  3. HaydenHunter

Our opener wasn't so successful. Although we got to the boat launch four hours before shoot time and locked down the spot we wanted, the area we chose became too crowded. Including a group of six (yes, six) guys who originally wanted to set up 150 yards from us but settled for 250-300 after I flashed them off. I lost count of the times birds were going to work to us but were flared by someone shooting at other birds. Including the group of six who were intent on filling their limits by shooting at any bird within 70 yards. We were so frustrated we picked up after four birds, figuring we'd re-set somewhere else. We never did. We went to a place with a lot of birds but apparently everyone within three counties was in on the secret. Oh well, that's the opener sometimes.

4. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

At least you guy's got out! This is the 2nd year in a row I have not made it out for the opener..... My son's B-day falls on the opener, now he's getting old enough that I should not miss it....
    Matt

5. wagner77

wagner77 New Member

Hello guys and fellow north Idaho and south of corse. New to the forums and already glad to be on the forums. It's already been informative and have been following for quite a few years for the reloading info but never stoped through here. Nice to see a few locals. Opener for us was ok we took a couple geese and a few ducks moastly widgeon one green head lost a goose witch didnt go over to well with me (don't have a boat ) but he will live another day. Was wondering if any of you guys hunt the chains at all? I never had! Just wondering how it is and if I should bother! And how you guys do it? I have hunted nort and south really all over but the chains. I never thought I had the equipment
    ( like a boat ) let me know if you would be so kind

6. HaydenHunter

PM to you.