Opening Day

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by BigLefty, Sep 1, 2004.

1. BigLefty

BigLefty Elite Refuge Member

I feel like a 16 year old on prom night...over before it started!

I went out scouting yesterday and found that the field I hunted last year is being left fallow and there are no birds and the field that I hunted the year before has so many birds that they decided to post it. Luckily I ran into a game warden (never thought i would say that) and he told me of some places to check out. Sure enough, I find a scene from the Hitchcock movie "The Birds" it was unbelievable.

So I get there early this morning and there is only 1 other truck there so I am okay. I set up, talk to some Fugers from the east coast who are out resident goose hunting and get ready for first light.

Right at legal guns are booming off to the north but I still cant see very well so I dont start shooting till 5:55. Game warden checks me at 6 sharp and writes on my license "9/1 6am 6m" while she is checking me I say "excuse me" close the double barrel, aim and drop a bird 3 feet from her. I was done 5 minutes later.

10 birds, 10 minutes, 17 shots and 50 "god dammit dog"'s

I only wish my Grandfather could have been there to see me dropping birds the way i was with his gun and his dog doing great retrieves.

Hope everyone else had a good morning, I am going to take a nap,

lefty

2. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well Ol' WW didn't get to go this morning. Seems that I got a stomach bug and have felt like garbage as of late. Hope to go out in the morning before I head back to work. Lefty, who were the east coast FUGERS?

WW

3. Kurt

Kurt Senior Refuge Member

They were flying good over here by Phoenix. Was a nice morning.

Kurt

4. Dr.Quack

Dr.Quack Senior Refuge Member

I was able to get out with Birdup, Kurt and Boone for opening morning. This was Shea's first hunt and she did great for her first time in the field. We still have A LOT to work on but she has the makings of a great bird dawg :D :tu

[​IMG]

5. Kurt

Shea did very good! Her speed beat Boone to the birds every time. She's gonna be a great dog!

Boone told me on the way home that its heck getting old when you have to compete with pups!

6. azfunn

azfunn Senior Refuge Member

Finally got a limit. First place we went was reeeaaal slow, second place we went was downhill from the first, finally got into some birds at about 8:00 am. I shot the worst I have in years, worst I can remember going back to first hunt in early 60's. Please help, was it because I only got 3.5 hrs sleep, I loaned the gun I usually shoot to someone else, no shot in the shells, the barrel was bent, the birds weren't flying where I was shooting(behind them) or I just plain couldn't shoot worth crap today. Don't be gentle, I need your honest input to improve.
    Going to take my nap and pretend it was all a bad dream (nightmare) Dick

7. Kurt

Dick,

Wow, hunting in the 60's! That was with black powder wasn't it??? :)

Kurt

8. BigLefty

BigLefty Elite Refuge Member

WW-

I was talking to them via the ol cell phone while waiting for the sun to get up.

beats yelling at the dog! ;)

lefty

9. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

ALL OF YOU GUYS SUCK !

I am sitting here at work, trying to pay the bills while your out killin'. I am glad to hear that all of you had a good opener, I will have to wait till Saturday with the other 500,000 idiots.

Luckly this year we have sole use of a 1000 acre dairy to hunt cut
    Sorgum fields, should be a hoot !

10. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Glad to hear everyone except ME :p had a good time hunting the opener. Well if I feel up to it in the morning I will take my daughter out before school and work for the old guy.

Lefty,

Give me a shout later if you would like to come over. Cali and the crew should be here around 3:00 pm. My number is 329-1341. Talk at ya later,

WW