Opening Day

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by BigLefty, Sep 1, 2004.

1. azfunn

azfunn Senior Refuge Member

You can shoot lousy two days in a row--I thought that was impossible. Took longer to get home today as I had to stop by and return the barrel straightner--obviously it didn't work. Nap time.

2. Kurt

Kurt Senior Refuge Member

Dick,

I think lousy to you means something different to me. I've seen you shoot skeet and sporting clays and you didn't shoot lousy at either one! In fact you shot very well at both. Lousy to you, I would guess is equivalent to bowling in the low 200's, while the rest of us poor slobs are trying to break 100!

I'm anxious to get out in the field with you this year and see just how "lousy" you're shooting! Where do you live? I'm moving this month to around 67th Ave and the 101.

Kurt

3. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

Kurt,

I just heard that Winchester had to add a third shift to produce all the shells that you have shot in the last 2 days ! Russ, that looks alot like Rovey ????? I will be out there this weekend also, and Shea looks great !

4. Dr.Quack

Dr.Quack Senior Refuge Member

Rick-You are correct...that is Rovey. You can' t go worng there! I am leaving town today and coming back Sunday. I will be out there Monday morning if you want to get together for a hunt. Do you have permits for Rovey this year?

Russ

5. Kurt

Kurt Senior Refuge Member

Just trying to do my part to bolster the economy!

6. azfunn

azfunn Senior Refuge Member

Kurt--You are correct, I consider myself a pretty fair shot. However, the last couple of days have been LOUSY. I'll explain--last year I only hunted dove a couple of days and never really got into a flight. Kind of walked around a couple of days in the desert taking shots as they came and not many came. Don't think I shot a limit either day.

The year before(2002) I shot Elliot/Hawes 9 days in the first season since it is only less than 1/2 mile from my house. The records for that year are:
    9/1 10 for 16---tons of dove. easy shots--lots of hunters
    9/2 10 for 15--still tons of doves--
    9/3 10 for 15--still lots of doves
    9/4 10 for 12--lots of doves -less hunters-picked shots
    9/5 10 for 13--relaxing morning not many hunters
    9/6 10 for 15--easy shots-few more hunters-got sloppy a few times--overall a great time
    9/7 10 for 17 Many more hunters--not good shot selection on a couple and unfocused on a couple
    9/8 10 for 10 thank you Lord--stayed focused, good shot selection--first ever 10 straight --home in time to clean birds and get to church
    9/10 10 for 14 can't rest on laurels--got lazy on couple shots

Now this morning 7 for 39- behind birds (shot butts off several) stopping swing-aiming-terrible shot selection--very few birds so shot at anything that even looked like I might put a bb in the eye same crap as yesterday.

The worst part is I kind of figured out where I was screwing up last night and went right out and did it again today.

I didn't even keep score yesterday I was soo frustrated but, to get the limit I was into 3rd box.

While it is true that in 2002 I shot over my head on several occasions,( I kind of got in "the zone") that year was no doubt my best shooting year ever. A lot had to do with target selection. There were so many birds you could just sit and wait for the shot you wanted. If I shot over my head in 2002, the last two days I've shot somewhere under my butt.

I live near Sossaman/Guadalupe and yes I would love to get out and shoot with you--either doves or ducks. Don't expect the 2002 type of shooting and I hope don't expect the last couple days kind of shooting. I would say that over the years I generally get my limit with a box or less of shells-some days worse and some days considerably better. I'm convinced that about 90% of it has to do with the availability of lots of birds so shot selection can become a key part.

Let me know when you want to get out and we'll get together.

Now do you believe me when I said LOUSEY? :(

7. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

Russ,

My dad and I will be out there on Monday, so I will see you out there. Have a good weekend, and be safe !

8. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

azfunn,

Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

Kurt,

You up for a Sunday hunt?

9. BigLefty

BigLefty Elite Refuge Member

Well all in all I had a good time in Yuma. I just need to find more stuff to do to occupy my "non hunting" time.

After my great shoot on the opener I met up with WW and Cali for a little "duck talk" and then dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. Somehow or another WW's daughters selected me to be the "birthday boy" and with Cali's help hinted to the waiter as such. Sure enough at the end of dinner the waiter and his posse show up with a freakin kiddie saddle on a saw horse and make me get on it while everyone got to yell a big "yeeeehaaaa" for me.

Day 2 we went to a field that WW had scouted out. Shooting started out good but after WW left with his daughter for work and school and cali ditched out from sickness the shooting slacked off but we still managed our limits in an hour and a half.

Day 3 I found myself hunting solo again and went to my Day 1 spot. Game warden came before legal and while talking she said it was better at the other end of the grove. There was also a pretty good wind whipping around so they were gonna be going one of two speeds...very slow or wharp speed. I followed the GW's advice and i went over there and sure enough the birds were pouring out in small flocks with a nice tail wind that with their being shot at for a couple of days made for some interesting shooting. Ended up getting my limit in 25 minutes with my last two birds the only white wing I shot in the 3 days I hunted.

WW-

sorry i couldnt stay later for breakfast, I just knew I should head back to lala land before traffic got bad. We will keep in touch about quail and duck hunting.

Can you shoot me that pic you took of me and Rufus when you get a chance?

Lefty

10. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

Lefty,

Sounds like your "non-hunting time" should have been spent with that GW.;) I don't know what she looked like but a woman who has good hunting information like that is a woman to be friendly with.:tu

Did you at least get her # so you can call her around Duck season.:dv :dv