Washington Flyway Forum Sponsors

Opening more of the Nisqually?

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Jun 12, 2019.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

On the the big board I saw that the Trump Administration is going to propose increasing hunting and fishing opportunities on a number of federal refuges. Looking at the WA list, I was surprised to find the Nisqually on the list. Here is what I found from one of the links in the thread. When will they announce? I can think of a few areas that would be awful fun if they would open them up! Anyone hearing anything?

• Washington
    o Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge: Expand existing waterfowl hunting to
    1,142 new acres.
    o Entiat National Fish Hatchery: Formally open to sport fishing for the first time.o Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery: Formally open to sport fishing for the first time.
    o Little White Salmon National Fish Hatchery: Formally open to sport fishing for the first time.
    o San Juan Islands National Wildlife Refuge: Open sport fishing for the first time on acres already open to other activities.
    o Spring Creek National Fish Hatchery: Formally open to sport fishing for the first time.

Here is the link.
    2019-2020-Station-Specific-Hunting-and-Fishing-Proposed-Rule-Narratives.pdf

2. Tool_Man

Tool_Man Elite Refuge Member

Always good to have new opportunities

3. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

That’s definitely a start

4. T.T.

T.T. Elite Refuge Member

I would like to see part of Turnbull NWR open to waterfowl and perhaps upland bird hunting; not just the "we'll open it maybe" youth waterfowl hunt and the limited and hard to get special elk permit hunts.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It will never happen, there will be some excuse as to why other refuges can open more lands but Nisqually can't. Too many lefist greeners to cry about it.

Tool_Man likes this.
  6. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

Probably put in a bird watching/family picnic/nature/jogging trail area. On the other side the state can say it's the compensation that they promised hunters for the Skagit mess.

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I second that.

8. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

So basically it would be like trading one mess for another. The politicos get to slap each other on the back for a great job and the hunters still have the same old same old. My $.02 worth.

9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

You forgot the part where the bird watching/family picnic/nature/joggers feel threatened.:z

10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

They too should be required to have a federal duck stamp with them when on a refuge.