Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Opening weekend

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by o/u, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Also, anyone else noticing their hunting area getting more crowded? There are more and more and more people around here every year. I would guess there are at least 3 times more people hunting the Delta than 10 years ago.

2. o/u

o/u Senior Refuge Member

You are correct u can thank duck dynasty Chaod dumbass belding and the flyway highway for that. I have realy noticed it in the past couple of years up here.Alot of young people that dont have a clue shooting roost ponds and baiting public land with corn.It is sad that it has come to that.

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Haven't seen any baiting around here yet, but have noticed a general decline in the respect and attitudes of hunters. Like I mentioned above, the preferred way to scout ducks now is to run your mud motor through the middle of a raft and see how many get up. Don't people realize that this makes the birds more spooky?

Had a group of guys literally try to build a blind 40 yards from our setup (we beat them there by 2 hours) last Saturday morning. Only after a very heated discussion with them did they move. And they only moved to about 75 yards away! What happened to the 150 yard absolute minimum? These guys actually wanted to combine our spreads and have a dual hunt over one spread from 2 blinds! What the hell???

4. T Lee

T Lee Senior Refuge Member

I agree 100% with you duckslayer, opening morning was a bigger zoo than i have ever seen, and ive been doing this on the delta for about 18 years. these are the biggest crowds that ive ever seen, and no respect at all anymore over there.

5. o/u

o/u Senior Refuge Member

It is aggravating to say the least. I am glad that I have some private ponds to hunts so I don't have to hunt the river all the time.

6. Fowl-Mouth

Fowl-Mouth Elite Refuge Member

Yup , I do too. I think there is a river or lake or something by my house I could hunt. Someone said it's 69,000 acres of public water or something? :l

7. o/u

o/u Senior Refuge Member

Had a good hunt Sat. morning 5 of us killed 5mallards and a pair of widgon.Should of had a couple of more ducks but thats ok.Saw more birds on Sunday but they wanted nothing to do with us:(We need some water and cold weather bad.

8. Fowl-Mouth

Fowl-Mouth Elite Refuge Member

3 shots, 2 gadwalls. Should have had a flying triple, first shot was a flock shot. :fp

Only saw maybe 20.

9. Plainsman04

Plainsman04 Senior Refuge Member

11-23-12: 8 woodrows. Coulda had more and shoulda had some mallards but some folks just aren't sitting on "go" when you call the shot.
    11-24-12: 6 woodrows, 2 GWT, 4 gadwalls, lost 1 gadwall & 1 bluebill
    12-1-12: Let my wife talk me into running a 5k & almost died.
    12-8-12: 3 woodrows, 1 bluebill, 1 ringer, 1 GWT, 1 hood rat while things were slow. First solo hunt I've ever done with my dog in his 5 years. Was a lot of fun. Shot horribly but was good for both of us. :tu
    [​IMG]

Getting ready to head up to R-Kansas towards the end of the week.

10. o/u

o/u Senior Refuge Member

Nice hunts good luck on your trip.