Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by jrin99, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

I was out at ol' Picacho on Friday. It was crazy busy and guns were a booming.

Surprised that guys only started shooting 3 minutes before legal.

It was the first time I had been out there in the dark. I got totally turned around, even though I somehow ended up exactly where I wanted to be to park. Spot I wanted was already taken. Settled for something near by.

I put out about a dozen dekes, my failed attempt at a jerk string, and then settled into some tules.

As soon as birds started to land in the spread before shoot time I knew I was going to have a great morning. I shot 6 bluewing and one greenwing after only a hour into the hunt. Called it a day. On the walk out meet a fellow forum member.

Day 2.

Over the last month I have been doing a ton of scouting and was really excited about one spot I found. I over slept a bit on Sat. morning, but was out in the field right at legal. This pond is tuck way back behind loads of trees and tall brush. Each time I've checked it out there were ducks on it so my plan was to sneak up and maybe get a shot at any ducks already there.

Walked up on it and jumped duck mallards. Only one was in range and I smashed him. I quickly set up my decoys and got into my hiding spot.

Just as I was putting my gun down to really get settled in, I hear them. Wings and quacks. 12 mallards coming in hot, just like I had hoped. I missed on my first shot and then it took my other two shells to bring down my second drake of the day.

A little later I hear and see two more mallards working. They made one big swing and then came right in. Boom. Double on mallards. Now I am really excited. 4 mallards and I've only been out there for about a hour. Nothing happened for awhile and then I saw a lone mallard swing over. He made a couple of passes before he locked in and dropped down. He had no idea I was there and I dropped him feet down at about 15 yards.

I waited another half hour but didn't see anything else so I decided to go jump some tanks. All the roads were flooded out so I spent most of the day back tracking. I was also able to snag a few quail too.

All in all a great first opening weekend in Arizona.

Attached Files:

2. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

Y'all get a lot of blue wings out there?

I'm one state over and they're pretty uncommon.

I couldn't tell from the picture but are you sure they weren't Cinnamons?

3. CORONA 1

CORONA 1 Senior Refuge Member

i was thinking the same thing.

4. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

Someone told me to look at the eyes. That Cin teal have more of a red/orange/yellowish eyes.

These did not and I know they were green wing. I will look more closely next time and post up a better detailed pick.

5. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

Definitely not green wing, they're probably cinnamon's. If someone can tell the difference between them and blue wings by looking at the eyes they're a lot better at bird id than I am. While blue wings are not unheard of in this area I doubt you would get a strap full of them.

Regardless, nice hunt and congrats.

6. quackadikt

quackadikt Elite Refuge Member

It's the cinnamon drakes that have the reddish iris. Hen BWT and Cinnamons are pretty much impossible to tell from each other.

7. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

Glad you had some success. I heard that place was a zoo. The report I got was that shooting started 10 minutes before shoot time and that there were a lot of miss ID'd birds in the early morning light😮.

I also heard it was packed with people. He said it was the most he had ever seen. Well I guess that's what happens when people are telling everyone it is packed with birds on Facebook.

I like the pics, keep them coming.