Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Quarne, May 12, 2016.

1. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

I've been chasing these toms since '86 and I still learn every day in the spring turkey woods. I've made every mistake known to man hunting them. Some mistakes many more times than once. I'm convinced now that given a normal spring morning as its getting light, if there's a 2 year old or older tom in hearing range of me, he's gonna gobble at least once before flydown. I'm talking conditions like it's not raining, 30+ mph winds, or complete dense fog as its getting light. I'm also convinced that if brothers from a brood are still alive and running together like 2 year old or older Toms do, every one of them will sound off at least once from the tree. I'm also convinced that the only reason 3 year or older Toms are alone is that he's the only Tom still alive from that brood. What say you?

2. Quarne

I'm saying in my own case is that if I don't hear a gobble where I'm set up at after it gets light than I'm outa there unless I'm set up in a traffic spot where they could show up at any point of the day. I'm convinced that Toms from a brood stick together for life. Like unless they've been separated for whatever reason temporarily. A year in the life of a Tom is a long time. Not many Toms live to see their third spring much less longer than that.

3. Quarne

I'm sitting in the turkey woods as I typed all this. Pondering. I think smart phones are gonna be the death of us yet! Lol

4. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

I was registering my tom last week and a guy with a jake said "they always live to be 6 years old". Yeah.....no.

Same place a few years ago a guy walks up to me and a couple guys and says "windy as hell, no way the turkeys are smelling you today". Yeah....no.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We have had very poor turkey production the past few years, and the last two seasons, I have not seen a jake. The birds that are around, have played the game.

The last two seasons I have seen toms roosting right next to hens that never ever gobbled on a given morning, and rarely gobbled on any given day I was hunting. Given this experience, and the fact that I have not seen a jake in the last two seasons on the two properties I hunt, I would say that there are many times a tom does not gobble (especially if he has the hens secured).

Hunted on another property this season as well, and heard a lot of hen activity, and never saw nor heard a gobble... Never once all season. Saw the footprints, heard the hens (and even had one come in) and never heard or saw a tom...

I have also noted, that many times when I do get that late morning gobble, that the bird comes in quiet.

The thing that makes turkey hunting fun, is that there is no right or wrong way to do things for every bird. One bird might hang up with aggressive calling, and come into more subtle clucks and purrs... The next bird might not even have his interest peaked with such subtle calling, and might come right in gobbling and strutting to more aggressive yelping and cutting.

No hunting I do is as humbling as turkey hunting...

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

IMO, If a turkey could smell, they'd be un-killable.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

No doubt...

8. Quarne

Well, Mark's reply made me think once again maybe I'm analyzing it too much. So maybe. Maybe if I don't hear a gobble at first light, doesn't mean a Toms not in there somewhere and just being quiet for reasons known only to him. Or, maybe the Tom that WAS in the area is already been shot an there's just hens left now. Darn it, there's obviously no right or wrong answer to this conundrum! I'll just keep pondering life, the universe, and everything and just maybe I'll solve it all! Lol

9. Quarne

See here's where this just came from. Driving by a property I could hunt Sunday morning about 7am I saw a tom strutting. I'm like YES! I gotcha! So I get in there in the dark the next morning. Pick a good ambush spot on the wood edge and settle in. First time I've ever hunted this property. It got light and nothing. No gobble that I could hear. At like 6am I'm like the heck with it! I'm not gonna waste any more time here and left. Today I decided to give it another shot and have been set up since 9:30am.

10. Quarne

Your absolutely right Mark. There's nothing more humbling and frustrating than spring Tom Turkey hunting! But I wouldn't miss it for the world.