Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Quarne, May 12, 2016.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Probably a tom that doesn't stay on the property all the time. Have a buddy who's property holds non, but they filter through every few days. Makes hunting them difficult, unless you can pattern them without disturbing their habits.

2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, you very well could be right. Also these birds are very much wanderers. An hour and a half after flydown he could have come from a long ways away and very likely was trailing a hen.

3. Quarne

I guess nobody but the Tom knows when he'll be back around again!

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Can't say I agree with the "always gobble" line of thought. I have hunted some very quiet birds - but this year I hunted and killed a bird that completely silent. Took me two days to seal the deal, but I visibly watched him at 100 yds and less do the entire gobble thing - just without a single sound. Unless he was gobbling at dog whistle frequency, he was a complete mute.

I have also been on some hard hunted public ground where birds make very little noise, not sure if we are selecting for the survival of quiet birds, or if the birds are just being conditioned to be quiet.

5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I know there at least 8 toms left living within a 1/2 mile of my house, until they were gobbling 30 yards from my fence on Tuesday afternoon I hadn't heard a gobble since the second week of the season. Very heavily pressured birds on public and private land around my house.

6. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

I could not raise a gobble this year while trying to roost them at dusk. That's my favorite way to hunt 'em too. That or easing through the woods and getting a response to your call and then drawing 'em in. My least favorite way is wait until you hear a gobble at dawn then make your way to the tree.....along with the 3 other guys that had the same plan. :l

I've had years when I was like this is too easy and others when I never got a shot. People that don't hunt them wouldn't understand.

7. Quarne

Well, so much for thinking in absolutes and thinking that I had this all figured out. Chalk up one more mistake I made turkey hunting. Lol So I guess I'll never be completely certain that there is or isn't still a mature Tom alive on a specific property just cause I don't hear a gobble. Well that's just peachy!

8. Quarne

Well that just goes to show me once again that nothing kills more adult Toms then time sitting in the turkey woods and PATIENCE.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

One part of turkey hunting I enjoy is the conversation... I love the "GOBBLE!"

And, generally, unless I know a bird is in the area, I will do some searching if I do not hear a gobble (or some hen activity)... Had a tough season this year. Only bird I killed came in quietly while hunting a different bird (that was gobbling). I had a feeling there was a tom, but I was working the hen, only hoping that a tom was with her... Hearing that hen coming up on me was the only reason I stayed put...

The bird I originally set out for was still gobbling when I finally shot the bird that did come in (some distance away).

And although it is fun to hear that gobbling in the morning, I am more inclined to listen to the hens. Where they are, what sounds they are making, etc... I typically try not to call to a bird gobbling on the roost, but I will sure try to fire up a hen... Most of the time, she will hit the ground and lead him away, but I have never called a tom on the roost off of nearby hens; I have called in the hens with the toms in tow...

Last two days of the season, I got my azz handed to me on a bird I thought I owned... Should'a, would'a, and most certainly could'a killed him had I utilized different decision making... Happened over a week ago, and it is still and unpleasant memory... I just hope I remember it the next time a bird comes in from a mile off in full-strut and I think I am the world's greatest turkey hunter again...

10. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

You're not "calling" a tom on the roost....you're making a few quiet hen sounds so they fly down in your direction because your soothing sounds means it's safe.