Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Quarne, May 12, 2016.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted in several states in the southeast this year. Limited in three and killed multiple birds in others. People I have taken have also killed several birds. Only reason to mention all this preceding info is to say I have spent the last two months in the woods about daily, and have first hand observation experience. Bottom line on gobbling is that the birds just did not gobble like normal (in the past years) about anywhere I hunted. I also scouted hard two weeks before the season and had some trial cameras in likely places and even though birds were around all those places they just didn't gobble much. An example In N Florida opening weekend, between two old birds I killed there was one gobble between them on two separate days. They drummed but didn't gobble. Seemd to be the pattern on every opening day I hunted anywhere; peak gobbling had occurred before season; of course the biologists would say that is the way it is supposed be. Now friends who are hunting in Pa, NY, etc are seeing same issues in lack of gobbling. Like zero.

I think a serious factor on the lack of gobbling is predation. A hen turkey gps transmitter study currently underway in the south indicates that in the test area a staggering 90% of first nests by hens were destroyed by mammalian predators…not necessarily coyotes (coons, skunks, etc). >But the coyote populations are so high in the southeast and now northeast that I have concluded a adult gobbler has learned that gobbling draws predators, either us with guns or coyotes. Just my view.

2. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

mg....I think the general consensus is that the birds have been getting quieter. Evolution perhaps? They may not gobble at all eventually.

3. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I have killed plenty of birds over the years and watched many others magically appear that never made a sound on the roost or once they hit the ground. They don't always talk. Why talk if you have a pile of hens in the same tree with you? I've seen it happen. I've watched them all in the same tree (or same group of trees), one or two toms and 4 or more hens. Not a bird every says a word, they just fly down and go about their day. He didn't need to gobble, he had all his girlfriends right there with him.

Some days they are flat on fire. The next day, virtually same weather conditions and they barely talk. Who knows why. But that is part of what makes it so much fun.

4. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

Only bird killed this year gobbled 50 times in the tree and 3 more after he was on the ground in 1 hour intervals. Appeared silent like a ghost 4 hours after flydown. Fudged up on a bird earlier in the season. Was gobbling close on the roost I was in some really thick stuff on a ridge. Bottom with turkey on one side of me trail on the other. After he hit the ground he gobbled once behind me and another gobbler farther down the bottom was firing off left and right. So I moved on him then had a hen race past me to second gobbler. Then hear a gobble back where I had first set up. Went back and found fresh tracks in the rd where I was. It's likely he had to loop around the thick stuff and I thought he was leaving. Went back the next day with full proof plan and didn't hear or see a bird all day. Go figure.

5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

My first bird I killed this year didn't say a word on the limb, or the ground. He was roosted with hens. The second bird (my buddy killed this one) was one of 3 we heard gobbling on the limb. He was over a mile away, he gobbled one time once he hit the ground, and that is when he saw the decoys at around 8 am. We were just about to pick up and move when he sounded off. My second bird, I watched him go to roost the afternoon before, away from his hen. I set decoys up at 5:30 am about 50 yds from where I saw him walk in the woods. He could see the decoys when it got light enough, and couldn't catch his breath. Probably gobbled 40 times on the limb. He glided down about 30 yds out. His feet were on the dirt maybe 30 seconds before I shot him.....no more gobbling.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

To quote a good buddy of mine: "Sounds a lot like hunting wild turkeys". :tu

7. ToxicShot

ToxicShot Elite Refuge Member

Bird I killed last week was with a jake that knew something wasn't right but this fool kept gobbling his head off until......boom!

8. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad:I got beat to a spot this morning. I hadn't hit this spot before dawn yet this spring. I was like you gotta be kidding! This property hadn't held birds since 2009 that I could tell but earlier this spring I found birds there again. I guess I should have figured that if I saw these birds somebody else could've too. Well this a handful of thick wood lots with fields around them and a backroad on the east side where the parking areas are. Well these birds run between this property and another property to the south 1/2 a mile away with a wood lot there too. They run a fence line back and forth. ANYWAYS, I'd never tried setting up on the property to the south so I drove there. Nobody's parked there. Good here we go. Walked in and was picking out a spot to set up on a thick hillside on the east side of the wood lot when a Tom starts gobbling in a tree in the wood lot. YES! I'm set up listening to him when I hear this long loud string of yelps below me across the field from a tree lined ditch. That's odd I thought. Why would a hen be roosting there and why is she making such a racket when they haven't even flown down yet? She keeps this up over and over and the Tom is answering from the tree. It hit me that's not a hen that's a frikkin hunter! Oh this is just stupid! Where'd HE come from???? Well I'll be darned if that Tom didn't pitch out and gobbling his head off I could hear that he going after that calling. Then it got quiet for a couple minutes. BOOM.......BOOM and then lots of swearing and hollering and whooping. There was two hunters together. AND, here I thought they were in the wood lots across the fields to the north where I wanted to hunt more than 1/2 a mile away. NOPE. Those idiots, um turkey hunters had trekked all the way to this property cross country and set up on a ditch 200 yards from this wood lot and for god sakes that Tom went right to 'em. Well folks I've seen it all!!!!! :mad: So much for that! This sucks

Last edited: May 14, 2016