Options for getting water from Point A to b

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by yellowdog00, Feb 19, 2018.

1. yellowdog00

yellowdog00 New Member

I invested in a 4” trash pump this year and plan on using it to flood a small wetland on my property next fall. My water source is a small river that is about 500’ from the ditch that feeds the wetland. I’m curious as to what type of piping solutions others have used?

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

What is the rise needed to get it from th river, up the bank, then 500 ft?

3. yellowdog00

yellowdog00 New Member

The bank of river is 10 - 12’ above the river. From the bank to the ditch

4. yellowdog00

yellowdog00 New Member

From the bank to the ditch(500’) is almost level to maybe 1-2’ lower.

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I used pvc pipe hooked to a three inch trash pump to irrigate food plots. Ran the pipe out about three hundred feet then reduced down to get the flow needed. From pond to nozzle was around six hundred foot and was getting 35-45 gpm out of it. Elevation rise was around 15 ft. You could also use old fire hose if you can find any. I needed more pressure than volume, you need the exact opposite. If you go with pvc, get the pipe with bell end couplings on it, just easier to put together. Good luck!

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Is this a one-and-done deal, or do you intend to do it multiple times a year for multiple years? You could always go with a ditch or aqueduct setup, if it's gonna be there forever.

7. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

I used aluminum irrigation pipes when I had to cover 300' from one pond to another but I was only using a 3" trash pump. The key was to get the pipe high enough where the discharge line of trash pump entered it so the pressure of the trash pump wouldn't blow the water back out...about 3 or 4 feet.

It could work for a 4 inch pump but I would take the coupler off the end of the discharge line so it could be stuffed in the piping a foot or so.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=alum...h=600#imgrc=KvqFTMGPI2FMWM:&spf=1519157374939

8. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

9. yellowdog00

yellowdog00 New Member

I appreciate everyone's replies. Given me some ideas to think about.

I initially thought of burying some type of piping to get to my ditch but now I'm leaning towards just biting the bullet and purchasing enough portable hose to do the job. The idea of cutting another ditch that feeds my main ditch may also work and reduce the amount of hose needed.

I found a place that sells 4" hose in 300' lengths at a discount. With that, the cost of purchasing and burying permanent pipe is not much different. I picked my intake location due to a deep pool being close to the river bank and having portable hose gives me flexibility to change locations if the river doesn't cooperate.

10. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Do you already have the water rights on paper