options for tall archer

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I'm still learning, somewhat of a novice at 59, and I am not getting any younger. My first bow was a Bear Magnum 44" ATA, and presently I have a Reflex Caribou 44" ATA, 30" DL, set at 70#. I am 6'4" so I have felt comfortable with the two bows and have not really been able to find a shorter bow that might work. So far I've gone several times for turkey, feeling very confident but no cigar as yet. Target shooting is one thing but hunting another. I just did a brisk 4 mile walk in hot weather and shot 20 arrows afterwards to try and simulate something like hunting. I am mostly a scattergun wingshooter but I love shooting the bow. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a shorter ATA bow that might work?? My Doghouse blind is just big enough for gun shooting for spring turkey but nowhere big enough for sit down or stand up bow hunting. Can anyone suggest a blind for bow hunting that is big enough for me?? I am mostly using mechanical releases and still learning finger shooting but prefer the former method. Almost every bow out there today is "tiny" compared to mine so this is why I am at a loss. Those of you that employ a long stick bow/traditional, besides stalking, what type of blinds are you using? I don't really want to get up in the trees, as my goal is a Osceola turkey- they are hard enough with a shotgun so thus my challenging choice.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

OK, I am only 5'11 1/2" but I have a Primos Double Bull that works quite well. I have also loaned it to a friend that is 6'4" and my baby brother who is 6'6". They all say it is large enough to sit in.

I also have a decent wing span, and like you, and always shot long axle to axle bows. (my old bow, now my bowfishing bow, is the same Hoyt Reflex you mention). I am now shooting a Hoyt Vector, which I thought was "tiny" at first, but over time I have adapted to it well.

3. Glades Ranger

Thank you, coot! Does that mean your friend and brother can stand and shoot their bows in that Double Bull blind? I would like to do that, shooting from a sitting position is much tougher for me- and I can hold longer standing up, especially on a turkey! That Bull blind is also expensive for my budget right now.

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

No, I can stand in the very center, but cannot shoot the bow standing. You can fit a big chair in it though or a swivel bucket.

If shooting while you sit is a problem, you might consider dialing down the bow. I know when I was young I was all about shooting 81 pounds and being tough. Now that I am older (and my shoulder hurts) I am down to about 65 pounds, and with the shorter carbon arrows it still flies flatter than the bow of my youth.

5. Glades Ranger

Ok, coot! I believe if I turn it down from 70 to 60# it should still shoot fast enough to skewer a tom.

6. bsktball55

bsktball55 Senior Refuge Member

You shouldn't have any problem at all shooting at 60lbs. I shoot my bow at about 62lbs or so and it will blow right through a dear with no problems. At 30in draw length I'm surprised you can't find a shorter bow if you want. I am also 6'4, but have a 32in draw length which really limits me to what I can shoot, I've always wished I was 30-31in because it opens up a lot more possibilities.

7. Glades Ranger

Actually, my DL is 31"- I do have a string loop which helps. What bow do you use? Wish my quarry was deer or hogs from a tree stand but I will be going for turkey on the ground.

8. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

i'm 6'6" and don't think they make a pop up blind that anyone my size can shoot from while standing. Learn to shoot sitting. :tu

Also, why the high poundage???? Practicing for Africa?

9. Glades Ranger

Good points. The archery tech set the bow at that #, I will take it to him to reduce it. Actually, I've been to Africa four times now, the wife is from South Africa, and though I've only used rifle there, a lot of the camps/blinds are setup for bow hunting. Two summers ago I was in one viewing a bull kudu only fifteen yards away and I would have loved to draw on that fine beast. Alas, I had to pass up and settle for a warthog.