Orange hats...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by olepal, Feb 20, 2015.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

olepal,

Are you not interested in those wool, felt 'crushable' hats? I'm waiting to hear back from the #2 link about availability of size L or XL at, hopefully, their low price.

Or are you just wanting a straw hat you can paint or one of those vinyl covers like I linked?

2. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

No decision made yet. I was just curious about the one in the pic. I can't tell if it is felt or straw. I suspect I will be more into the wool one as they tend to be more comfortable on my abnormal head. :yes

olepal

3. olepal

Just a thing I have, or maybe it is a Texas thing, but, a hat is a hat. A cap is not. Yet you go online anywhere and caps are called hats. :rolleyes:

olepal

4. WoodieSC

I'm afraid to ask about your "abnormal head"... :no

If I hear back from this #2 place, Scott's Bait and Tackle, what size would you wear... L or XL? These would be the felt 'crushable' Broner brand hat.

The price at Kittery Trading Post would be about $60 shipped, or so. The other place would be about 1/2 that, but that might just be their clearance price on the size Smalls they've got left. If they offer me a low price on a Large I'll grab one for myself and let you know what they say.

I don't want to spend $60 on another orange hat, but it appears the Broner 'crushable' ones are no longer made and is the only 'crushable wool felt' one I could locate, so I might have to bite the bullet to add to my collection of 'hats' and 'caps'.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that AZ's hat is a straw one from the looks of it... along with it being warm weather. ;)

LOL... I hear ya'! :tu

5. olepal

I have never been able to get any hat that is somewhat stiff to fit properly. Nothing weird, just the flat forehead or something.
    I am pretty sure I would wear a large. I have a Bailey rain resistant hat of the same style that fits great.

olepal

6. AZ Draht

AZ Draht Senior Refuge Member

My hat is a Bailey and the material is shantung which i guess still qualifies as straw. For the paint, I used the hivis paint from home depot.

That pic was from a few years ago and the hat has held up fairly well. The paint has faded a bit, so it could use another coat. I don't know if the paint softened the material, but it has lost its shape. Probably from improperly storing it for a long period of time. I have not wore it for nearly two years.

7. WoodieSC

olepal, you can measure your head and then check this chart to see what size might fit you best...

http://www.menshats.com/choose_size

AZ, good question about the paint softening the 'straw/shantung', et al. I would guess an oil-based paint would do it, but have no idea about something like a latex acrylic.

8. WoodieSC

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I had purchased a wool felt hat that I really liked but didn't fit just exactly right. Took it to a hat maker and had him steam it to shape. I don't exactly remember, but I think he didn't charge me anything.

10. WoodieSC

I've done the same thing with a portable steamer I've got on my Stetson and another Broner hat I've got. Unfortunately, my ol' favorite Broner hat got bush hogged a number of winters ago... as did my favorite straw hat! :doh :l