Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Order of migration

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Littleboots, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

In what order do ducks,snows and big geese migrate? I am trying to decide if we were too early or the migration has sifted west from where we normally hunt

2. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

I barometer the migration based on birds that are not native to my area. Very difficult for most to tell a local mallard or one that has come from 1000 miles north.

I use signs like cranes, snows, pelicans and other birds not native to my area as to how the overall migration is progressing.

If I had to go by order first phase would be the Specks/Teal then localized puddle ducks and dark geese congregate and being trickling down to. Increase in Snows with larger concentration of Mallards along with Divers in general. Last of the last are the larger Canada geese and Mallards who will stay as far north as the weather permits them too

A lot of babble here but hopefully there is some value in there. Again this is just my experience

3. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

4. Frank Mahovolich

Frank Mahovolich New Member

Hey Guys,,,U;m a 66 yr old Duck Hunter,,,I live in Sohthern Ontario,,We hunt Lake Ontario and a few smaller lakes,,,Locally the Teals,,Woodies,,and Mallards leave 1st,,,The Bluebills arrive early Ocrober,,followed by Redheads,,Buffleheads and a few Canvasbacks,,This is depending on the weather up north,The Common Goldeneye,,( WHISTLERS) arrive last on the Lakes,,Depending on thr weather up north late November
    mid December arrive on Lake Ontario,,,,When thr WHISTERS get frozen off the northern Lakes is when they head south for open water, Hunting WHISTLERS can be tough,, I hope this helps

Mahovolich