Ordering Decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by EWUEagles, Sep 27, 2017.

1. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

This year I'm looking to buy some DSD's my problem is my budget this year only allows me to buy a dozen. If you were only buying a dozen what would you buy? I was thinking 6 feeders and 6 actives but just wanted to see what other people thought.

2. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

bigfoot B2's. or whiterock canada socks depends on the room you have for them

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I run mostly feeders because I mostly hunt feed fields ,I also have 18 or so sleepers and rester for situations that call for loafing birds.If I was just buying 1 dozen at a time I would stick with mostly feeders.DSD have some very nice sleeper decoys thst are expensive but you could add those later as your budget allows.

BirdJ likes this.
  5. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

You don't need a big spread of DSD's. The feeders and actives will work just fine. Put 'em in the hole and you will see how effective they are. Next year order 6 more feeders and 6 uprights...that's all you will need.

Spencer5100 and Wareagle1 like this.
  6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Don! That's what I was thinking about doing. I have enough mediocre decoys so I was looking to slowly switch out to DSD's.

7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

I run mostly all high heads and kill geese consistantly it creates the illusion of a flock just landing works ever time. Learned this trick from Dave Smith himself so dont blast me for not knowing anything about goose hunting. High heads kill geese as good or better than feeders let the criticism begin from the experts

Spencer5100 likes this.
  8. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Some guys over think the feeder to looker/active ratios. If the decoys are set in a realistic manner, it wouldn't make much of a difference whether more feeders or actives. In most scenarios anyways. When i see birds in the fields I definitely see more heads up then down..

thunderfromdownunder likes this.
  9. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Refuge Member

I do agree. But if u see them they for sure see u

10. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

2 sentries 10 feeders if you hunt mainly fields