Oregon’s First-Ever Fatal Cougar Attack

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Full story here:
    https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2018/09/woman_found_dead_near_mount_ho_1.html

Does Oregon have much of a Mtn. Lion hunt? Can they hunt with dogs?

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Found the answer - no hunting mountain lion with dogs.

However - the F&G used hounds to track down the cat they think killed the lady.

Ironic - more do as I say, not as I do...

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I think this correct
    California, Oregon. Washington Arizona Colorado no foot hold traps for fur wares and no hounds for lions and bears
    The population have boomed

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I will say this- and I’m not trying to be funny- but considering that a house cat sinking it’s claws into you is about one of the most painful things that exists, I can only assume that being killed by a large cat has to be one of the crappiest deaths imaginable.

5. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Nah, I'd rather get a couple hooks in the back and suffocated quickly than be trampled. I bet England doesn't let you hunt cattle with dogs either...stupid limeys.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-cattle-east-sussex-groombridge-a8488006.html

And does anyone know the game laws on hunting giraffes in SA?

https://nypost.com/2018/09/13/woman-3-year-old-son-recovering-after-giraffe-attack-in-south-africa/

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

No kidding. Pretty much any wild animal... bear, shark, big cat, gator/croc.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  7. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully they ban hiking!!

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I get your point...

But California is absurd. We have a dwindling deer herd and a growing lion population... About 218 depredation permits issued yearly with about 100 or so lions killed yearly...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article182397016.html

Although I have only had a glimpse of one on rare occasion, I see prints on just about every property I hunt or fish in the foothills.

I have zero interest in hunting or killing a big cat... But with a population that could sustain such (with a likely benefit to both deer herds and ranchers), I do not see why we cannot let science dictate the harvesting of such animals?

Instead, several years ago the head of the Fish & Wildlife department was fired for legally killing a mountain lion in a different state... The idea of killing such an animal (legally) was untenable...

And with a growing population of cats, and a shrinking area for them to live, we will see more and more human interactions.... With both livestock and people likely being attacked at times.

Swampy and canada like this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Once all the deer are gone, they’ll start explicitly hunting humans. It’s gonna be great.

lugnut, callinfowl, Brottboss and 2 others like this.
  10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like there's hope for the future.

jzoo, callinfowl, sdkidaho and 4 others like this.