Oregon September goose season SUCCESS

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by twentygauge_wonder, Sep 7, 2008.

1. twentygauge_wonder

twentygauge_wonder Senior Refuge Member

Power to the women on the Refuge... I shot 2 Basins yesturday on the opening day of Oregon's short September goose season! I'm a senior nursing student in Portland, OR so this was no easy feat. Last year I had to pass up the chance because I didn't want to bother taking the day off work. I haven't heard the end of THAT since then, because Dad and his buddy got a limit. So needless to say... wasn't going to make that mistake again. When Dad called me Friday morning with the news of geese on our fields, I fought tooth and nail to rearrange my schedule so I could drive the 80 miles to stay with my parents for the hunt. Our morning was a bust - birds landed too far out and in an adjacent field. We scouted after picking up, discovering that about 150 geese were just a few miles away. The decision was made right then that we'd return for an afternoon hunt. Fifteen Basins for four people! Not only that, but a BANDED BIRD was shot. Problem is... we don't know by whom! Birds were coming straight at us for a solid 45 minutes. As long as the birds we'd shot were good and dead, we left them in the field in order to get shots in at whatever flock was approaching. Whenever there was a break, no matter how small, we'd make a mad dash to bring in the birds from the field. It wasn't until we were loading the rigs and sorting through everything that it was noticed. We drew straws (appropriate, since we were in a cut wheat field) and the bird became mine. I processed the band # on the website - it was banded 7/25/08 in Oregon.

Either my petite stature makes the birds look huge, or the huge birds just emphasize my petite stature!......
    [​IMG]

THE BAND
    [​IMG]

2. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

AWESOME!!!!

And I LOVE your t-shirt...where'd you get it?

3. Bandtaker

Bandtaker Elite Refuge Member

Dang a lil woman that can hunt. Qhuestion is can you cook it up nice? Congrats on band:tu

4. cowgirlnca

cowgirlnca Senior Refuge Member

Nice, way to work out your schedule and squeeze the hunt in!

:tu

5. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Super nice photos! Congrats!

:tu:clap:tu

6. twentygauge_wonder

twentygauge_wonder Senior Refuge Member

Blue eyed goof - got that T-shirt several years ago at GI Joes (I think the store is technically now Joe's). It's my LUCKY shirt, which is why you rarely see any pics of me hunting wearing anything but that shirt. :l Oh... and my dad has a matching one.

Bandtaker - all of our geese go into the smoker or for an oven jerky recipe, in which case my dad cooks it all. It's more his specialty - he's excellent at cooking any kind of game. However... I've been taught how to clean ducks and geese and could do it if necessary. Again, Dad's specialty. He's better and faster at it!

7. Chesapeakie

Chesapeakie Elite Refuge Member

Wow, excellent pics. Congrats :clap

8. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

Congrads on the great hunt and band.:tu

That band looks awful old for the time it was on.:confused:

DANNY

9. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Danny

Im guessing that bird was likely on an area with high Iron concentration likely a sewer pond or cow **** pond. Oregon birds seem to love that!!

That is an awesome hunt twentyguage....congrats on the smackdown.

10. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on the band :tu