Osceola Pits - Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Drake Decimator

Drake Decimator Senior Refuge Member

Putting in a pit in the off season and am looking around at pit manufactures. It looks like Osceola offers a lower priced pit than the other manufactures. Only real difference I can see is gauge of the steel used. I dont need a fancy palace to hunt out of, just something that will last and not cave in. Anyone use them? Have any issues? does the inward taper interfere with comfort sitting in the pit? Thanks, Osceola seems to be 1/2 price of the others and just want to ensure that a lighter gauge of steel will be OK? Pit will be sunk in field that gets fairly wet so I will have to tether is as well so it doesn't pop. Thanks in advance.

2. semomudhen

semomudhen Senior Refuge Member

The farmer we lease from put an Osceola in last year on our lease. Really like the room and is comfortable to hunt out of. One nice thing is the shelf built-in on the front that you can store a ton of stuff on. We modified ours with a roll-top lid to keep us dry for the most part when it does rain occasionally.

3. HOBEHNTR

HOBEHNTR Senior Refuge Member

Mr Billy Dean is a fine man. He’ll treat you right and stand by his product.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I installed one of their 4 man pits on one go my leases a couple of years ago. It is comfortable,and has held up pretty well, so far. Good design, good people. Freight was expensive, but I didn't have equipment to unload it otherwise.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Always loved the layout of the pits y'all had at Wabaseka.

6. bullpinnie

yep. those were absolutely the most comfortable pits. the lids needed a little work, but the overall design was second to none. the Osceola pits are purely functional, and don't compare in terms of comfort.

7. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

I own Osceola sled blinds, flashboard riser boxes, and 12' pits. I have been very happy with the overall quality of all of it. My sled blinds are 10 years old and still in good shape. Pits have only been in the ground one season, but so far no complaints. Make sure you take a little time and get the bottom of the hole flat with a little loose dirt left on top before you set the pit.

I've got several minor upgrades planned for mine over the off season, but I would not hesitate to buy them again.

8. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Put in 3 of their 12' pits a few years ago, no problem with side wall cave-ins, but one of the original pits was installed with an air pocket (cavity) below the floor which allowed water to collect and freeze, the ice block popped the blind up. Had to to dig up the blind, level the hole as previously mentioned, reinstall, and have not had any problems since. The "wings" welded at the floor and the tapered design seem to hold the the blinds in place. Downsides: 1) tapered interior walls make for uncomfortable seating, we removed the metal bench provided and replaced with metal folding chairs which have a backrest and allow a person to sit with your back tilted to the rear instead of to the front; 2) first blind we bought, we did not order with shelves (not a good idea), other 2 have 2 shelf "boxes" welded into the front wall, makes a world of difference, they will make shelves any size you want, so make sure the shelves you order are tall enough to fit your heaters as my opinion of hunting out of metal pits is like hunting in an ice chest cooler. 3) Strongly suggest you order with roll top roof, one morning hunting in rain will make you wish you had. 4) Moved one of our pits to another location after 6 years in the ground, walls appeared OK upon removal but if you are worried, you might want to coat outside with tar to retard rust damage?? 5) lastly, with no drain the pit will collect water, if you hunt in freezing weather this water will form sheet ice that you will slip on, we constructed 2 X 4 floor runners which provide 3" of lift over the metal floor and allow a stable footing, also make sure you have dog boxes on BOTH sides, makes entry and exiting blinds easier and you can provide space for two dogs. Recommend you follow point #3.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I HATE a roll top, and I've been hunting out of metal "rice field pits" since the 80s. Give me flips every time. Aside from the fact they'll eventually get screwed up, you end up shooting too many flaring birds on the first shot. With flips you can often put up one side or the other to get shadow in the pit. This allows you to be hidden in the pit and come up to shoot without moving a big 16' panel.

One tip to at least help with water/ice in the bottom is to keep a couple of square buckets or jugs, a milk jug with the bottom cut out works, and make it a rule to ALWAYS scoop every bit of water out after each hunt. Obviously it doesn't work if a big rain is followed immediately by cold bad enough to freeze it before you get back to hunt, but it will have the floor pretty dry the majority of the time. Also, if you do it after every hunt, it only takes a minute.

mmayes likes this.
  10. bullpinnie

As you may recall,the Wabaseka you mentioned earlier had raised floors, and a sump pit with battery powered sump pumps w/ solar powered rechargers. it had individual panels for each shooting hole, which was great for shooting one, or two guys, but less than ideal when hunting five or six. benches were configured where you could still get out of the rain in a squall.