Osceola Pits - Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Drake Decimator, Jan 2, 2018.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I recall about every little trick in those pits. The swing-down gun holders were especially nifty. If I recall right, there was also a recess in the lowest part of the pit with a bilge pump in it.

2. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

We've always put pallets in our pits which took care of the ice problem as well as slipping and sliding when you had gumbo mud, which was always the case when you hunted fields in my neck of the wood, on the bottoms of your boots. Been awhile Bill. How have you been?

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've been well, how about you?

Not saying there aren't pluses to putting a subfloor in, but you'd want a pump to keep water below the wood. Two minutes each hunt with a flat sided bucket keeps the floor clean in most cases. Both the bucket and the pump option work even better if the man burying the pit can make one end just a tiny bit lower than the other. I'm talking a half inch or so. Hunters can't detect it, but all water collects in one end for easy removal.

3inch3's likes this.
  4. BrowningGold10

BrowningGold10 Senior Refuge Member

We have never used a sub floor, small bilge pump with enough hose to run out of pit and battery work great in one corner of pit.

5. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

We have several including a 20' with a half roof and one dog box. Heck of a place to hunt. Would recommend highly.