Osceola turkey hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by duckhunteral, Sep 15, 2017.

1. duckhunteral

duckhunteral New Member

When is the best time to turkey hunt Florida just North of Daytona? What part of the season do the birds work the call the best? In southern Alabama, April 1st is typically when the Toms start working the best. Not sure if it is the same for that part of Florida.

Thanks for your insight!

2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Without knowing the nature of your land access it is really impossible to give you insights. IMO generally if its public land hunt you better just go when you have a tag and be thankful you got one. Ive killed them on private ranch, no guide, March 20 time period gobbling hard around kissimmee and south some. If they are by themselves they are as easy as anywhere; henned just as tough as anywhere. If you are on private land and the birds have less or no pressure then it probably makes no difference as to timing. Some private guided land gets hunted very hard by guides so private doesn't necessarily mean "innocent, unpressured".

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Bear in mind even though many groups say that most of Florida is osceola territory they are hybrids or easterns north of Orlando.

Osceolas are a small bird compared to the eastern. I shot a 2 yo bird a few years ago on the property from which all Osceolas were reintroduced to Florida. It weighed 12 lbs.

4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Agree that Osceola demarcation line, as indicated in post above, is sketchy at best. I think its presently described by a line that has been determined by biological politics and other politics , Fla tourism, and landowners seeking more money for a turkey lease/ access. Have Killed birds in North Fl swamp river bottoms that appear indistinguishable from deep south Fla birds, and some in deep south Fla that look like 100% eastern. Who Knows. Perhaps only true Osceola strain are within an hour of Miami, or thereabouts.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

The Florida Wildlife commission website has online wma brochures/maps/regs , dates, and much other information regarding turkey hunting. I am routinely there from the opener in mid-march, usually Osceola county, and later in April. Osceolas are usually more reticent than Easterns. As far as calling, I would advise quality over quantity. Humid conditions hamper box calls but I use those too. I have had more success staying put vs. running/gunning. I have always hunted public wmas's, cannot afford private land but there you will no doubt have greater % of luck! Feeders help I reckon!:D

6. H20DAD

Wish the slam craze would go away. It's impossible to hunt turkeys if you live in south Florida. Fools will pay $2000 a bird. And like you said the true Osceolas are not a good hunt. More of a sit and wait.

The last one I shot the three gobblers wouldn't respond to calls so I just walked up to them and shot the biggest bird as they ran away. No lie.

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

H2ODAD, that is great, I often tell my wife that a bit of impatience is a good thing now and then! After a good run of spring hunts, I am currently in a real "drought" of skunk springs....henned up toms mostly, only a couple of busts when motor vehicles intruded where they are NOT supposed to be, or wise toms that would not venture closer than 70 yards or so...it makes it all the more enticing, this most challenging of hunts.

8. H20DAD

Try walking them up some time. Full camo and go slow, really really slow. I have walked within 20 yards of full flocks of hemmed up toms in the past.